Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Make shift rib rack?

Options
I want to do 6 racks of ribs on my large tomorrow and I don't have a rib rack. 

I have a second level grid and can go  with that, but was wondering if there is a "V- Rack Hack"

Anybody have a good work around to get the ribs upright?

Thanks.
1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have a suggestion that I use at times. First let me ask do you have any metal skewers?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You can stand the ribs on their edge on the grid and then run 3 or 4 metal skewers through them. Works like a charm. image

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I have plenty of skewers. Nice adaptation!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌
    If you have the ones with wooden handles be sure to wrap the wood well with foil. I have some that I use that don't have the wooden handles. Either will work. But the plain metal ones do not require the foil wrap.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I was gonna say the same thing- metal skewers.  Might also consider some butcher twine in combination with the skewers. 

Another crazy thought I had is you can get cheap little "cooling racks" at the dollar store. If you got 4 of those, you could put one between each rib and them all together with butcher twine. 

You can also find a cheap rib rack at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes right now ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    If you have a roasting rack for a turkey, turn it upside down and place the ribs in the slots.  Works pretty well.

Also rolling ribs works fine too in a pinch-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SGH
    Options
    I have also used bobby pens instead of skewers. A little trick but works like a charm as well.

Status- Standing by.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    +1 on the upside down roasting rack, works perfectly.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SGH said:
    I have also used bobby pens instead of skewers. A little trick but works like a charm as well.
    Do you just stab through the ribs like skewers?  I want to hear more of this bobby pin trick! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    Yes. Just stand the ribs on their edge in a groove on the grid for support and impale them together. Works wonderfully. If you set the ribs in a space on the grid this help them to stand up straight.
    The bobby pin trick is a old trick I picked up years ago.

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great improvisation @SGH‌....
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you brother.

Status- Standing by.