Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cryo-Pack longevity under refrigeration

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,494
Last weekend I bought a cryo-pack of baby back ribs, but forgot I had it and didn't cook them.  I read all the fine print on the packaging but only found "Keep refrigerated or frozen", and "Sell by 25 August".  Today's the 28th.
I'm planning on opening them tonight, giving a good sniff test, add rub, back into fridge, and throw on the Egg tomorrow morning.  If you don't hear from me by Sunday someone please post a warning on this thread for me?  :D 
Anybody know any guidelines for how long you can keep raw, cryo-pack in the refrigerator?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don't know about pork, but someone addressed cryo packer brisket on here a couple of months ag and said keeping it under refrigeration is basically wet-aging and shouldn't be a problem past date.  I hope that's true, I have a prime brisket past date that's going on this weekend, assuming it doesn't stink up the place when I open it up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ribs are fine for a long time too but they can be stinky after a few weeks. give them 30 min or so to air out before making your final call. I can tell you that I wouldn't worry about 3 days extra in cryo for any meat.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I let a packer ride nearly 3 months without issue. Maybe rinse, then let it sit to let the funk subside.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Just make sure you have extra toilet paper and everything will be ok. :P

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Ribs smelled fine coming out of the package, and they were excellent.   :)>-

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...