Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Egg Placement

Options
Laying out plans for the outdoor kitchen.  Likely going with two large eggs.  Would you place them side by side or would it be better with a few feet of counter in between?  (Plenty of counter on other side of eggs.)

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have the space I would do counter space between as long as you still had counter on the other side of both. That way you have room on both sides of each egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

IMHO, the more counter space the better.  Click on my avatar to see my table.  Its not the fanciest table but I built it myself and I love the L shaped design.  I highly recommend it.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited August 2014
    Options
    the one thing I would strongly suggest having a spot between your two eggs covered with a surface of metal. That area is a great spot to rest a hot grate while loading it with new food as well as a hot grate on when it is full of small pieces such as chicken wings, ABTs, and the such while you are turning them over. Otherwise if you leave your dome wide open during a lengthy turning the temperature can get away from you. Then being metal it can be easily cleaned! I use a raised  thing I built for that very purpose and I call it my staging table. 
    imageimageimage
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@RRP That is a great idea you have Ron. Simple, very useful and effective.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRP
    Options
    Hotch said:

@RRP That is a great idea you have Ron. Simple, very useful and effective.

Thanks! I use it a lot and being metal then the heat doesn't bother it plus I just wipe the grease , sauce whatever right off. That's instead of using a piece of stone which would get stained and impossible to clean. BTW that metal is nothing more than aluminum flashing stretched tight over a wooden frame and has a sheet of plywood under the metal so it does not flex.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    That is one clean grate!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    tulocay said:
    That is one clean grate!

LOL - I teach classes to mostly newbies so I always start out with a clean grate. Actually they are easy to clean back to like new looking by just using Easy Off oven cleaner.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I agree that if you have plenty of counter space I would leave some space in between.  I imagine most of your cooks will only be on one egg so it will be nice to have space on either side.  I think I would be inclined to get a longer counter on the outsides, with a relatively smaller counter in between.  Please see the CAD drawing below:

[___O__O___]

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I ;Please see the CAD drawing below:

[___O__O___]

I agree with what you said. I also noticed your CAD drawing reminds me of the feral cats we have lurking around our woods! ^oo^~ But your cats must be bigger! LOL
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I'll be using this spacing for my island. It's a total of 14' across and I'm going 18" from each end. image
  • VanDawg38
    Options
    Thanks for the input (especially the CAD drawing).  Usable space on both sides of either egg is the way to go.