Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and beans!

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited August 2014 in Poultry
Cooked lunch for my sales team at our Hyundai dealership to thank them for such a great job last month.  Spatched 7 chickens then cut them all in half. Makes it easier for me to move them around the grill and to get them all to fit. Covered in Simply Marvelous Pecan rub. Raised direct that ended up cruising around 300-350 instead of 400.

These beans are as delicious as they are easy. Best baked beans I have ever eaten.

Start with a large can of bush's and a medium can. I also added some kidney beans this time.
Ketchup, Mustard, bbq sauce, brown sugar
Some jack daniels and Zing Zang bloody mary mix
Half an onion and half a green onion diced
Diced cooked bacon (or extra pulled pork or brisket or any meat you want or no meat at all)
cover in raw bacon (which i forgot to do at first)

350 in the small in my old school cast iron dutch oven

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Nice... Can I be part of your sales team B-)
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It all looks excellent from where I'm sitting. Great job. I love the DO as well!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    All was wonderful. The sales team is going crazy over how juicy the chicken came out.  I don't think they have ever had properly egged chicken!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I bet that they are enjoying that. Especially if they have never eaten of a egg before. Glad it was I hit!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think that should be the stock photo from now on when people ask "should I get the large or the XL"?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    If y'all eat like that on a regular basis I need to come to work for y'all!! ;)

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    looks great hope that motivated for next month:)

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @SGH - I made them pulled pork last weekend!

@smokeypitt - I LOVE my XL, I find myself using all of the real estate pretty often. 14 chicken halves is pretty sporty for a single level cook.

@Tulocay - Thank you it's great being able to cook chicken perfectly every single time!

@cook861 - It's always fun to keep the guys happy with positive motivation!
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    Sounds like y'all eat like us! I like it!!

Status- Standing by.

• tshuggz
    tshuggz Posts: 19
    Options

Looks great!  How much of those ingredients do you add to the beans?

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Cooking with Zing Zang is a brilliant idea.
    NOLA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is some great looking chicken! I am sure the sales guys were happy with that. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Cooking with Zing Zang is a brilliant idea.
    @buzd504  I use it in chili, beans, and sometimes in taco meat too. I love that stuff. Mostly with vodka though!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    tshuggz said:

Looks great!  How much of those ingredients do you add to the beans?

@tshuggz  a dash of this and a splash of that. I have never measured. Next time I will. 

I put roughly equal amounts of the ketchup/bbq/mustard/zing zang. Probably just over a 1/4 cup of each.  About 2 shots of Jack Daniels and probably a cup of the brown sugar.