Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken

Options
Went buy Costco and picked up some whole Chickens intending to part out 3 of them and freeze, and to cook one Beer Can style for dinner. No canned beer = no Beer Can chicken. So i put the plate setter in and fired it up to 375, seasoned the chicken with Tsunami Spin and put it on with my Maverick Probe in the breast. Pulled it at 160 and it was one of the best chickens i've had! Using some of the leftovers for some Buffalo Chicken dip tonight.

Blake.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves!

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Looks good and welcome aboard! You should try spatchcock and ballotine chicken. I have never done a beer can chicken after I tried to spatchcock one... Ballotine is a little more work but worth it 200% http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163278/cordon-bleu-chicken-jacques-pepin-style-pics-heavy

Options
    Looks really good. I did this the other day. Just some Tuscan herb evoo salt pepper. Cooked for an hour at 400.
    1 Large BGE 2 Extra Large BGE 1Kamado Joe Jr. 1 36”Blackstone griddle 1 The Good One The Marshall
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I beer can chicken at least once a month but all I see on the forum is spatchcock. What makes it so good or different?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The first chicken I did on my egg was on a sittin turkey with beer, EVOO, and a little rub. Then I discovered Spatchcock. Then most recently I did a galantine or ballotine. So many ways. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    BTW @livinloud5 the chicken looks great.  Keep up the good cooks.   Also love the quote at the end, my buddies use it all the time.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    + 1 on spatchcock, but yours looks awesome. Great cook!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Livinloud5‌, great job. I also encourage that you try a spatchcock.

I had a little sticker that said " The beatings will continue until morale improves" when I was in the Army. My leadership hated it when I'd point to it when they were being stupid.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@Livinloud5‌, great job. I also encourage that you try a spatchcock.

I had a little sticker that said " The beatings will continue until morale improves" when I was in the Army. My leadership hated it when I'd point to it when they were being stupid.

Sometimes the truth stings a lil bit.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend. Excellent job! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.