Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

white smoke problem

Options
I'm still not sure how to avoid having the "early smoke" affect the taste of whatever I'm cooking.  Here's what I do for an overnight pork shoulder.
---Fill the firebox and add about 5 chunks of apple wood
---start the fire with the bottom open and the top up.  
---wait about 15 minutes, and close the bottom, add the daisy wheel with just about a quarter inch opening, and shut the bottom vent to about a quarter inch also.  
---wait for the dome temp to get down to about 200/225
---add the plate setter and the meat.

My problem is that it seems like there is the dreaded "white smoke" coming out the top for almost 45 minutes.  What to do?

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Um...that is the apple wood chunks smokong
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^probably.  You lit the top in a small area, right? 

If the smoke smells good, throw that be-otch on da grill!
    Options

@badinfluence may be right. 

The other possibility is that the rest of the charcoal never really got warm enough to burn off the VOCs.   If you go straight from having an open lid to closed with very little airflow you haven't really let the lump that isn't actively burning warm up.  I insert the platesetter and close my lid immediately after I start my fire, but leave both vents wide open and CHECK THE EGG EVERY 5 MINUTES.  (If my prepping is such that I can't check the egg every 5 minutes then I usually open only the petals of the daisy wheel - that way I know it won't go above 350).  By the time the dome thermometer gets to 250, I know that all the charcoal that is below the platesetter has spent a fair amount of time at a temperature significantly higher than 250 allowing for evaporation and/or burning of all VOCs... and at that point I almost always have clear smoke.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The lump in close proximity to the fire needs to stabilize with respect to the VOCs.  I doubt all the lump gets up to 250 if the air in the egg reaches 250. 
    Options
    To reinforce the above-"The nose knows".  If it smells good then it is good and the time/temp/degree of burning lump/new vs used lump are all factors that means it will be different every time you fire up the BGE.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    smell it, if it smells right your good to go, i dont pay much attention to color anymore
    :D that could apply to bbq as well
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it