Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For those of us that like Rye/Bourbon

Options

Comments

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    We've been bamboozled!!!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Disappointing to say the least, but interesting in that they have some aged casks that are going to be better than what a new smaller distiller could produce.  I guess the transparency is the real issue - would I pay a premium for something being passed off as local and craft.  I have a couple of really nice Texas bourbons on my shelf that I had to check - no, they're made in Texas.  I'm sure that's not true for all of them.

I like Bulleit Rye, sorry to see it on the list, but it is very reasonably priced and I'm sure I'll still buy it.  It still has to be about value.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I love Redemption Rye. Great taste and value.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

my liquor store guy has been telling me this for a while, but I agree with @legume that it is all about value. If the product is good, and is a good value relative to its competition I don't get too tied up about its provenance.

It reminds me of the stink made in the wine world in the last few years, as several high profile importers have begun buying excess grapes from various French vineyards and blending their own wines. They have made some really nice wines at crazy good prices, and the Chateau's are all in a tizzy. But they want it both ways - they want an outlet to sell their excess production but then want to demonize the guys they sell it to.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Love me some Bulleit, both the bourbon and rye.  Great price point, great taste, clean burn.  What more am I supposed to do?  Trace it back to the growing field?
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing that article. I had no idea.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Interesting.  Doesn't mean they're all doing that, and if you enjoy the taste vs price, keep enjoying it.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html
    Options
    @ads75 - Great article, good read. 

@nolaegghead - had no idea there was that many, with more coming every month.

Last year we stopped at Its5 in Cashmere WA. They use blended spirits for bourbon and ryes produced off premise. Like many micros, they distil vodka and gins that don't need the long aging process. 
    Craft beer/wine/spirit is what sells, as long as you like it, buy it - but chances are it is not all made by friendly couple dressed in period costumes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    If it tastes good I couldn't care less where it comes from. Interesting read, not surprised.  I don't like the subterfuge but hey what can you do?
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA