Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak

Options
Can anyone tell me where I can buy OO near Indianapolis or western burbs of Chicago, Orland Park or Hinsdale area. Thanks in advance

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I live in the Peoria area and can't find it around here.  I would recommend going to www.firecraft.com to order it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 on firecraft, 100lbs for about 100$ delivered to your door. Hard to beat that
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have traveled to Mexico, MO from here. There is an IGA store there that carries it. That may sound like a long way, but lots of people travel to Lake of the Ozarks and Mexico is in route!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will look into firecraft.
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Nothing but RO & Cowboy around Indy

LBGE

BTFU!

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    i wanna take a trailer and go to Yellville Ar and get a load last time i checked it was under 4 bucks a bag from the factory

I bring some back whenever i visit Family in Springfield , MO but just cant carry much in my Prius
    B-)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    llrickman said:

i wanna take a trailer and go to Yellville Ar and get a load last time i checked it was under 4 bucks a bag from the factory

I bring some back whenever i visit Family in Springfield , MO but just cant carry much in my Prius
    B-)

Last time I checked they weren't accepting new customers or selling direct. I would head up and get 300 bags.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Its been over a year since i called them but at the time they were more than happy to have us come down just didnt have the time
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are doing firecraft (and I highly recommend it) grab a few bags of rockwood too. OO is my 2nd fave but Rockwood is by far my go to. Both great but I really like the Rockwood performs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options

If you are doing firecraft (and I highly recommend it) grab a few bags of rockwood too. OO is my 2nd fave but Rockwood is by far my go to. Both great but I really like the Rockwood performs.

What is it that you like about Rockwood over ozark oak. I've been searching on here for a side by side comparison and haven't found anything.

I'm placing my order with firecraft tonight so this is perfect timing!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @ChillyWillis. I've never used OO but I love Rockwood. It burns hot and slowly, is neutral when burnt on its own if you don't want smoke and it drops very little ash.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think RW is just a bit more neutral than OO. Both light easy and last a long time with minimal ash. Both are excellent choices. Plus the more RW or OO that you buy will leave that much more RO in the market for @henapple !!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    They're both great. I like oo for the size. Rockwood has smaller pieces but Jonathan says size doesn't matter... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Well now I've got 6 bags of OO and 3 bags of RW on the way (along with a looftlighter) so I'll be able to toss in my two cents soon enough.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    henapple said:
    They're both great. I like oo for the size. Rockwood has smaller pieces but Jonathan says size doesn't matter... =))

Wait.....we were talking about charcoal????   :((

On the charcoal, the plant changed a piece of machinery in the sifting/bagging process and I've been seeing a lot larger pieces in the bags.  I always QC the bags off the off the very bottom of the pallets, and some of these bags are "packin".  We can't guarantee what they're going to look like after 1000 miles on a semi and/or FedEx truck, but hopefully they're better.  I wasn't going to say anything--just see if people noticed any difference.  We just shipped pallets from that kiln to Firecraft, Grill Medic, Bluegrass Grills, Chili Dawgs, Ceramic Grill Store, Olympic Hardware, & Superior Saw.  Most of the STL stores already have them--so far, so good.

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input and comic relief.