Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder Planked Salmon

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
SWMBO picked up some salmon and some seasoning along with some compound butter that she sampled at the store. I must say it was very tasty. imageimageimage
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Alder-smoked salmon is one of my Perfect Meals!  Do you live in Seattle?  

My favorite "sauce" with alder salmon is a half-cup of mayo, one minced chipotle, and a couple teaspoons of honey, mixed and aged a couple hours.  
    :-bd

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That's some fine looking salmon. Smoked salmon is one of my favorites. Excellent cook.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ladymcgyver210
    Options
    Everything looks yummy!  We have made cedar planked salmon and I also put asparagus on the cedar planks and it was very tasty too!  Love the pics!!!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @Botch - Thanks! We will give your sauce a try sometime, sounds great. I live in the Twin Cities metro.

@SGH - Thanks! You were missed around here! Welcome back.

@ladymcgyver210 -Thanks! Never thought of doing that with the asparagus.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    @minniemoh‌
    Thank you. I was never really gone. Just absent and testing a hypotheses. But it's great being back and again thanks.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

Can you provide your process?  Temp, time, prep?  I'm looking at doing a smoked salmon and I have no idea where to start.  Yours looks terrifici!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    nice cook.  I'm going to have to order some alder planks to try.  hoping I like it better than the cedar.  definitely like the compound butter.
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Alder smoked salmon is how I always do it. LOVE the stuff! Nice cook!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • ofcman29
    ofcman29 Posts: 28
    Options
    My wife loves Salmon, just sent her the link.  It is all her!
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thank you for the compliments folks.

@SeahawksEGGHead - I just soaked the plank for a couple of hours, then heated it up on the egg for 10 minutes at 400 direct on the grate (smooth side down for the heating part). Once the plank was heated, I flipped it over and added the seasoned salmon with a few small pats of the compound butter to the smooth side of the plank. I cooked to 135 internal (I think it took about 20 minutes). 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    Options
    Salmon is outstanding off of the egg and yours looks great.

Status- Standing by.

• minniemoh
    Options
    @SGH - THANK YOU!

eggAddict from MN!