Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Berkshire pork

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
Thinking of getting an order from Lobels after seeing a beautiful porterhouse that @Mickey‌ posted. While browsing I came across the Berkshire pork and was wondering if it was worth trying out? Is it really different from butcher pork? I was think about getting a couple 12oz rib chops and debating a $65 butt. Any ever tried this stuff?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    If it's true Berkshire pork then it's excellent. That being said it's getting harder and harder to get true Berkshire meat. It's will be marbled extremely well if it's true Berkshire. You should be able to spot this with no problem.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yes, it's better. Nice bacon-y flavor.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The steaks were the best I have ever seen.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I'm going to grab it and try it. Why not splurge. Still no where near the cost of a fine dining establishment.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Let us know- I'm interested in trying too
    Greensboro, NC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Whoa. Gonna have to hide that Lobel's receipt from the wife!! Got a little carried away!
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Made 8lbs of Berk bacon once. Best I've ever had/made.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

We cooked a butt last weekend and it was terrible,  Never, ever, buy Berkshire pork, it should be only consumed be a select few with bad taste buds like mine at steeply discounted prices due to low demand.  I'm sure your taste bugs are quite fine but be warned, you want commodity raised pork that is grown in a large buildings with 1000's of pigs breathing lord knows what gases with all the flavor neutralized for finer palettes.

:))
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm sure the Lobel's receipt was an eye-brow raiser. I balked at mail order costs for Berkshire, but a stall opened up selling it at the local farm market. Price is 200+ % over commodity pork, but worth every penny.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I'm sure the Lobel's receipt was an eye-brow raiser. I balked at mail order costs for Berkshire, but a stall opened up selling it at the local farm market. Price is 200+ % over commodity pork, but worth every penny.

Yeah I went a little crazy lol. 

2 (36 oz.) Prime Dry-Aged Porterhouse Steak 

1 (20 oz.) Prime Dry-Aged Boneless Rib Steak 

6 (2 lbs. avg.) UDSA Prime Tri-tip. (Can't find these around me) 

12 (10 oz.) Berkshire Pork Rib Chop 

2 (2 lb.) Berkshire Pork Belly 

1 (6-7 lb.) Berkshire Pork Bone-In Boston Butt
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    So I'm not the only one who has spent the last hour frantically trying to find somewhere within a few hours drive that carries Berkshire pork?  Good to know.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Cooked 2 Berkshire Rib Chops tonight. 

Sous Vide at 140 for about 2 hours. Then pan seared with some Organic Ghee. I added nothing to the bags for the water bath. Rubbed them before the sear. Mine had Chef Pauls Blackened Redfish Magic and my wife had Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction.

By far the best tasting pork chop I have ever had. Amazing.
  • marysvilleegger
    Options
    Let me be the first to say Pics or it didn't happen! :D
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Berkshire pork doesn't show up on pics - it's like vampires that way.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Cooked some Iowa Chops (think cut) over direct heat recently.  Also agree it was the best pork in years.  To describe that flavor of Berkshire pork, several our guest stated it remaindered them of pork growing up.  Not too fatty or salty, moist with a roast pork flavor.  We didn't season the chops other then salt and pepper.  It's worth the effort if you can source it locally.  Here in Iowa, NewBo City Market, Gilbertville locker, and select Des Monies Hy-Vee stores sell it fresh.

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Here is a photo of a Berkshire butt.  Not the greatest photo.  The fat cap was snow white, and the meat was a nice deep red that was well marbled.  Sorry no after photos.