Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs this weekend

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
It has been requested by my parents that they want ribs this weekend.  They are going to buy 3 racks of babybacks for me to cook sometime this weekend.  The last time I made them I cooked then at 275 for 2.5 hours then foiled with apple juice for an hour or so then coated with BBQ sauce and cooked for 15 more minutes - came out moist and tender.

Now I am planning to make them again using some BBQ rub but was thinking to make one of the racks totally different - non traditional BBQ flavor.

Got any ideas?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Pineapple Head rub. When you wrap in foil, drizzle with honey, a bit of rum and add pineapple chunks. When you unwrap, no sauce needed, just let the bark firm back up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    You could make an oriental-style glaze, basted on every 15 minutes or so:-
    1/3 cup Soy sauce
    1/4 cup Mirin (or white wine),
    2 tbs Orange marmalade
    1 tbs Sesame oil.
    2 clove garlic, grated on microplane (or very finely diced)
    2 tbs grated ginger.
    1 tbs sweet red pepper sauce.
    You can add, delete and make up as you go along. Stick to sweet/tangy flavors and they'll compliment one another.
    Non traditional enough?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I haven't done this yet but I want to try something like this:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    Those recipes look good.  Now to decide on which one.  Maybe 1 BBQ, 1 Pineapple and 1 Oriental and try them all - hmmmmm

Garnerville, NY
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @robnybbq‌
    I do one that is very simple and delicious. Be warned if anyone is heat sensitive you may not want to make these. They are not practical joke hot but they are on the warm side. I simply rub the ribs with equal parts of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and Bad Byron's butt rub. They turn our par excellent every time. A little spicy but excellent nonetheless.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    SGH said:
    @robnybbq‌ I do one that is very simple and delicious. Be warned if anyone is heat sensitive you may not want to make these. They are not practical joke hot but they are on the warm side. I simply rub the ribs with equal parts of salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and Bad Byron's butt rub. They turn our par excellent every time. A little spicy but excellent nonetheless.
    25% Cayenne? Yeah, I'll bet those are spicy.  :-\"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW‌
    They are honestly not stupid hot. Warm no doubt about it. But they have a excellent taste.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Pineapple Head rub, or just basting w. pineapple juice works really well.

Most places that have pigs have a sort of BBQ. As far as I know, not northern Europe. The standard is to boil them with 'kraut and dumplings. Mimicing that, If you marinade over night w. a vinegar based mixture, or par-boil in water w. some vinegar for a few minutes, the tart vinegar flavor gets in to the pork, and it goes well with sweet sauces, or mustard sauces, or rubs with unusual spices like nutmeg and allspice.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Ribs on. 2 racks wih Byron's butt rub and one with pineapple head. Egg is not cooperating so far with temp stability and keepin the fire lit but I had to throw them on as I am running out of time.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Might eat sometime tonight.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Ok ribs came out great. PINEAPPLE HEAD on ribs is amazing. Nice light flavor.

Garnerville, NY
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Those plated pics are off the hook man...Congrats all round.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    Options
    Nice job!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA