Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cracked Phone Screen

Options
2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    So my geek holster got old and loose and my Galaxy S5 started falling out frequently.  Eventually I cracked the screen.

I found out the outer glass is different from the inner display, commonly caused the digitizer or something.  I bought the outer Gorilla glass for about $15 with tools.  I didn't do my research and, while using a heat gun to melt the adhesive, broke the digitizer taking off the outer glass.  I find out this is a delicate operation - a high percentage of attempts break the display. 

Anyway, I see the factory OEM display is around $200.  I find a used but "in new condition" digitizer with the graphics card and outer glass for $120 on Amazon.  I bought that and fixed my phone in about 30 minutes.  As good as new.  Total repair cost, $135.

Bought a new holster, and the pop-out problem is fixed, phone is almost a year and a half old now.  Will probably get the Samsung Note when I'm eligible.  

I don't waste my money on the insurance.  Never had and this was (knock on smoke wood) my first broken phone.  My buddy broke his iPhone 5s and he had been paying $10/month on insurance.  After another $160 core charge, he got a fixed phone. 
    I got a quote for 75 to fix my S3. I researched doing it myself and it would cost around $65 due to not owning any tools(many guides recommended a heat gun and laser thermo to prevent frying the digitizer). I went ahead and had it done by the local guy and he fried the digitizer. It cost him $135 in parts plus whatever free labor. I only paid $75 for a brand new display. 

In regards to insurance, you'd be amazed at what the upcharge is since companies are just paying an insurance company to cover them. When I worked at Best Buy, every single Service Plan from $50 to $300 cost me $4-$10. I had it on my phone and used it once when I cracked the digitizer in my pocket. New phone was 50 bucks. Then I canceled it because the refurbished phone is no longer covered. Now that I know how much it costs to fix these things I'll never get it again. I'll also never get a subsidized phone again. That is where the real rip-off is.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - I too used to work for BB. I remember the employee discount on the service plan for a tv was roughly $2. The normal customer would pay $200 for that same plan.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @fence0407 yup. I believe our pricing was cost +10%. I put a 2k audio system in my car for around 600 bucks. Accessories were where it's at. I stocked up on Monster Cables. I would blow through my paycheck on Home Theater/audio equipment. Ahhh, to be a teenager again.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @fence0407 yup. I believe our pricing was cost +10%. I put a 2k audio system in my car for around 600 bucks. Accessories were where it's at. I stocked up on Monster Cables. I would blow through my paycheck on Home Theater/audio equipment. Ahhh, to be a teenager again.
    I was giving away Monster cables and any other accessories I could penny up for for birthdays and Christmas's during my tenure! I felt like I should invest in the company that invested in me - they sent me to "Black Tie sales training" lol.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA