Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country and Spares at the same time??

Options
JohnH12
JohnH12 Posts: 213
I planned to cook two racks of spare ribs turbo at 350 pit temp as you folks have discussed in several threads. I was thinking anywhere from an hour and twenty minutes to two hours using the bend test as the final determination.
Now I'm told that some of the guests are bring some country style ribs that they would also like to have at dinner.
My egg is an XL if that makes any difference.
Any suggestions on timing if I stay with the intended 350 pit temp? 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JohnH12‌
    Not for sure if you are asking about the spares or not. I'm going to presume that you are. The spares will take at least 2 hours to properly render down even at 350 degrees. Usually longer. If they are tiny slabs they may be done a little sooner. But if they are full size slabs you are looking at least 2 hours. As far as the country style ribs. I don't know how thick they are or what cut you have. Shoulder or loin cut? If you can tell me the cut and thickness I can give you a close estimate. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks, Not sure of the cut but the ones we've had before were about 2" thick (from Walmart). I always grilled them direct so I don't know what to expect for indirect alongside the ribs. The ribs are full sized with the skirt usually left on. The only thing I usually do is removve as much of the silver membrane as I can, salt and pepper with no sauce.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @JohnH12‌
    Sir you can cook country style ribs cut from the shoulder or loin indirect with excellent results. If they are cut from the butt they don't lend themselves to direct cooking as well as the ones from the loin. They will turn out excellent cooked indirect along side of the spares no matter which cut that they are.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.