Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Latest Thoughts on Brisket Cook Temps?

Options
I know this certainly isn't a new topic around here, but I was wondering if there was a general upward change in cook temps for brisket.  I haven't done one in a while, but will be for the 4th.  The last two I did very low - sub 225 - and the flats of them were dry and I ended up just chopping everything - which was fine and good.

But, many of the great offset BBQ'ers cook at higher temps with less time.  It seems logical that it might preserve moisture while still getting a nice bark.  I was thinking of creeping up to 250-275 this time.  FWIW, this is a prime brisket (as were at least one of the previous ones).

Anyway, I just wanted to get some theoretical thoughts on brisket cooking temps and see if people are edging upward or staying very low.  Thanks for any thoughts!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cssmd27‌
    On the egg I prefer 250-275. On larger cookers with a water pan I'm still in the 200-225 camp. Just me brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    On a egg the 250 dome temp is still 225 grate temp. It's how it's been done for 100 years
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    SGH said:
    @cssmd27‌ On the egg I prefer 250-275. On larger cookers with a water pan I'm still in the 200-225 camp. Just me brother.

Same for me. 250 to 275. I got dry brisket at lower temps too.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    250 - 300 for me usually depending on where the temp ended up - I let the egg decide for me as long as it's within that range. 

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Ask @cazzy. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    On a egg the 250 dome temp is still 225 grate temp. It's how it's been done for 100 years
    Those pretty much equilibrate over a long low and slow - or at least I thought.

FWIW, I measure from the grate and use an Auber blower/controller.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Don't forget that a prime brisket may be done at a lower temp due to a higher fat content. Once you get to 185 start probing and pull when it goes in and out of the flat easily.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    When I have cooked lower grade briskets at low temps, they always came out dry. I think a higher grade meat can take a wider variety of temps. The best ones I have done have been prime at 225. When I did a prime packer at 275, the fat didn't render out quite as much. Either way, a good packer still turns out delicious. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!