Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

finally got another smoke ring

Options

If you look at my threads lately, you will see them all complaining about my inability to produce a smoke ring after being able to when I first got the egg.  Finally, after probably 6-8 cooks, I got a nice (albeit small) smoke ring on my brisket.  What I did:

it was a hot humid day.  I used a water pan which I always do.

tried to get as close to frozen as possible without being frozen.  brisket had ice crystals on it from the freezer when I put it on the egg.

no oil with rub.  Just sprayed a little apple juice on to get the rub to stick.  Did not rub the rub either.  Just sprinkled it on.

used hickory and oak, vs. pecan and cherry that I have always used with brisket in the past.

cooked it low and slow for the most part, at least until I was well past 140 degrees.

threw 3 charcoal briquettes on right before the meat.

This had a good smoke ring and might have been one of the tastiest briskets I have ever made...

This sport is like golf... just when you think you are going to hang it up, you hit that one beautiful drive down the center of the fairway :)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm looking hard but I can't see that smoke ring. I'm going to take your word for it and say good job my friend!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I can't see it either. No pics = No results.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    I was worried that it was just me that could not see it my friend!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    You have to click on his avatar.  :D

Which looks VERY good!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• hugewineo
    hugewineo Posts: 49
    Options

haha, thanks for the rib props but no, no pics on this one, I have good smoke ring pics on previous briskets so did not really need the pics, I just needed to see it happen again on one of my cooks!  And now as others struggle through the same issues and google "why the f%#$ can't I get a smoke ring" I may be able to help someone :)