Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning Brisket and have questions

Options
2»

Comments

• wrx_02
    wrx_02 Posts: 19
    edited June 2014
    Options
    So this was easily the best brisket I have done overall. 
    The last one being 2nd best but lacked the smoke ring, wasn't as tender or rendered as well. 
    I think all I lacked on this one was keeping the flat from drying out but keeping it tender. 
    The Tender I got but it was a little dry. I believe I know my issues but I'll post pictures and type out the process and mistakes I made. 

So I generally start with my electric starter, and pull it out in 5 or 10 mins. Egg is usually at 250 to 300 by then and I can get it to come down a little if needed. I took longer than usually with the Tender Quick and trimming so the Egg got up to 500 degrees and I believe this was my main issue to start. I got it down to 300 but it kept wanting to be at 350 oppose to 250 with the draft settings I usually use. So it was a constant battle of closing off the draft to get it to come down then barley opening the draft to get it back up.

So with the temp off, it set me back and I believe this is what dried out the flat. 
    I started at 12am Saturday night and finished it by 4pm Saturday. I wrapped it at 170 in foil but it took so long to get to 170 I think I waited to late. The final 30 mins I left it unwrapped on the Egg to build up the crusty bark. 

As far as prep I went by the Franklins trimming video the best I could. 
    I coated the brisket in TQ and let it sit for 15 to 20 mins on the counter. 
    Rinsed it off then added my rub, but not to much. I believe I was over seasoning before and just a little made it taste much better. 

Then I threw it on at 300, I tried 270 but couldn't get that temp to hold. I put the point opposite the bottom vent, fat side down, with a drip pan filled with some beer and water. I usually do not fill the drip pan but since I couldn't find butcher paper local I wanted to try and not foil wrap it, as I didn't want it to be too tender (fall apart). 

After this cook I think I need some clarification on how much smoke is too much and how much is too little? I was under the impression if you didn't see any smoke you wouldn't get a smoke ring? 
    But I saw online if the smoke is to thick then that is bad, you want clear smoke? Not sure what they looks like. I generally put 3 or 4 Hickory chunks in the middle before I put the meat on, let it smoke for 10 mins before starting the cook. Then maybe throw in a couple more chunks towards the beginning on the cook. I find mixing them in the lump a lot of the smoke is done late in the cook when it is not needed or already wrapped. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    Any more threads you want to promote that link in?

What is your take on brisket?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @wrx_02‌
    Here is the type of smoke that you do not want to see. It will impart a bitter taste. Give me about 30 minutes and I will post pics of what your smoke should look like.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Here is the same lump the same wood and the same egg. Here it has had time to settle and stabilize. This is the kind of smoke that you are looking for. You can lay this type of smoke to meat for untold hours with no ill affects. The smoke should be very faint and translucent. I hope this helps my friend.imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @wrx_02‌
    Brother I'm certainly no expert or brisket guru but I will be more than glad to try and answer any questions that you may have. Let me know if I can help in any way my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @SGH‌ your daisy wheel has seen some better days. . .

Is it time for the smokeware top? :-?
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @xiphoid007‌
    When I'm not working I use my egg once or twice a day most of the time. But yes it's time for a new one my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    @SGH‌ it can never be said that you used your egg too much! Its a badge of honor!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @xiphoid007‌
    I agree 100% my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,481
    Options
    @SGH-I don't pretend to have the "Q" eggsperience that you possess but I will offer the following, wire brush that DFMT and then hit it with some spray oil (Pam, canola etc) and every time you shut down the BGE toss it in there-keeps that bad boy nice and seasoned.  Not that "Hollywood pics" change the operational qualities...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    I use to oil it after every use. But what happens is when I go off to work and family members use my egg they do not oil it and put it up. It's kind of reached the point of no return now. But you are certainly correct that oiling will extend it's life and appearance dramatically. I think I'm going to try a SS one. Everyone that has them seems to really like them.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    Brother I have read a good many of your posts and responses. You are without question a very accomplished cook. I have learned a thing or two from you as well as many others on this forum. I always presume that the person I'm speaking with is a better cook than myself. By doing so I have learned a lot thru the years. I welcome and accept advice from any and everyone my friend. Always feel free to offer me your advice and input as I welcome it.

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,481
    Options
    @SGH-Kind words and appreciated but you have a track record that transcends the forum.  You don't get there by accident-that said, perhaps you need to calibrate those family members who fail to "recognize right answer when told".  Just sayin' and all in good fun :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    @lousubcap‌
    I have a son which you can't tell him that water is wet. He is about hard headed as they come. Like most fathers I love him and try to help him but so far to no avail. Maybe one day my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited June 2014
    Options
    cazzy Posts: 4,866 June 29 HogHeaven said: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html Any more threads you want to promote that link in? What is your take on brisket? Cazzy... WRX 02 asked a question about how much smoke is too much. That is a great question and my personal learning curve I have found Amazingribs to be the most helpful website to reference for most things. What WRX 02 will learn if he actually reads that page is that smoke is like salt... The right amount will greatly enhance the flavor of your food. To much smoke or salt will over power the natural flavor of your dish. One is always better off using a little less smoke than required than using a little too much smoke... You cannot unsmoked a brisket. He will also learn the difference in the type and color of the smoke he is subjecting his brisket to and how the bad smoke will make his brisket bitter tasting. That's where I learned to know what to look for when I was learning about how much wood to use and what the color of the smoke meant and how that would effect the taste of whatever I was cooking. I have no affiliation to Amazingribs at all I just think he and the nakkid Whiz are the 2 most informative sites available for us backyard chef's. I gave him my best answer to his question. If that offends you pardon me...
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    cazzy Posts: 4,866 June 29 HogHeaven said: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html Any more threads you want to promote that link in? What is your take on brisket? Cazzy... WRX 02 asked a question about how much smoke is too much. That is a great question and my personal learning curve I have found Amazingribs to be the most helpful website to reference for most things. What WRX 02 will learn if he actually reads that page is that smoke is like salt... The right amount will greatly enhance the flavor of your food. To much smoke or salt will over power the natural flavor of your dish. One is always better off using a little less smoke than required than using a little too much smoke... You cannot unsmoked a brisket. He will also learn the difference in the type and color of the smoke he is subjecting his brisket to and how the bad smoke will make his brisket bitter tasting. That's where I learned to know what to look for when I was learning about how much wood to use and what the color of the smoke meant and how that would effect the taste of whatever I was cooking. I have no affiliation to Amazingribs at all I just think he and the nakkid Whiz are the 2 most informative sites available for us backyard chef's. I gave him my best answer to his question. If that offends you pardon me...
    Offended, hell nah.  Was just curious as you pasted the same link 4 times in a matter of a few hours and was interested to hear your personal take on his question.  Either way, I aint nobody here so post away!   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • wrx_02
    Options
    @SGH thanks for the pictures and sorry for the late reply, I have been trying to race prep for this weekend so the Egg research had been put aside. 

So I do want clear smoke or the appearance of no smoke. 
    I have been using the Royal Oak (red bags) lump. Do I want to add Hickory or Oak chunks to this? And then when I do add them they smoke like crazy until the wood is basically burnt up. By the pictures you posted I would think you don't want to use the chunks. 

With the egg it is not an issue but I watched the Franklin video on youtube and he said you use clear smoke. But through the cook he would add wood to the fire. So wouldn't it just keep over smoking? 
  • wrx_02
    Options
    I have read the amazing ribs website multiple times. It has lead me to where I am besides the last cook. I felt like I hit a wall so I began posting here.