Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adam Perry Lang Cookbooks

Options

Guys and gals,

Adam Perry Lang has been getting a lot of good press lately and I love the board sauce concept (don't know if that's his invention or he just picked it up). Lots of interesting concepts and recipes etc..

If you were to own one APL book, which one would it be?

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Serious Barbecue
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    +1 for Serious Barbecue
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^have that one. 

I saw him at Meatopia in San Antonio last year.  He was cooking on an impressively giant trailer kitchen thing.
    Options
    Why would you just want one? I would purchase Serious Barbecue first. It's excellent not only for the recipes, but also for the techniques. Charred and Scruffed is good as well, but I'd get Serious Barbecue first.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Serious Barbecue is my go to book, love the preparation and the results!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Focker said:
    Serious Barbecue
    +1
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Why one? Well, if I really like Serious BBQ, then I'll dive into other titles but I generally like to buy a book and run with it awhile. The reviews of SB all look good.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    As a beginner I would say BBQ 25 or Serious Barbecue. Charred & scruffed a distant 3rd. BBQ 25 is very baisic & full of every day cooks. SBBQ has some incredible recipes & techniques. Charrred & scruffed has some interesting ideas but does not come anywhwere as useful as the 1st 2.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I only have Serious BBQ so I can't speak to the others.  One thing to note is most the recipes int SB are pretty complex.  They usually have many ingredients to measure out and many steps.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but just something to be aware of.  I think you can learn a great deal about techniques even if you don't follow the recipes to a T.  The board sauce is a good example.  You could check out the recipe he uses for board sauce on Rib Eye steaks and only do that, and skip the 4-5 pages and 35 steps he uses to tell you how to prep and cook a steak ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    I have enough "basic" BBQ books (as well as probably 200 non-bbq/grilling books) and that's why APL's approach appeals to me. Something different to try and a different way of doing it. I love the journey as much as the destination. Not to mention, I really don't mind getting tapped on the shoulder to provide grilling services by friends and family.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Yeah, SmokeyPitt, I did read reviews about recipe complexity but I'm not too worried about that. I love the herb brush concept. That's got to smell fantastic.
  • cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Options
    Honestly, I would say of all the unique techniques I have picked up from APL, the herb brush is the least impressive as far as imparting flavour goes.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    I've followed some of his recipes in SB to a T, others I do maybe half the steps.  Stuff always comes out great.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    He does love his red pepper flakes!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Agree on the complexity.  When I am in a rush I will use one of my store bought or preferred rubs/marinades/sauces and follow his TECHNIQUES (wrapping, board sauce, etc) which usually lead to great results.

When I do have the time I love doing it all from scratch.  Better end product and adds to the WOW factor when you serve your guests fajitas that had been soaked in a made from scratch marinade. I noticed he has some common ingredients and flavors across recipes so after you get over the initial purchase of some spices and seasonings its only an investment of time to take it all the way.

When I did brisket this weekend I used the reserved sauced from the wrap to coat the cutting board and to run each slice through.... no one was questioning how moist each slice was - from point to dickle. 
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Serious BBQ
    Dearborn MI
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Well, I just got slobber-knocked with a $300 vet bill and a $700 car repair bill today. APL will have to wait a bit. :((
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Don't worry, his recipes are too much work anyway LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I found it at the library and never bought it myself. Just wrote down some of the recipes that I wanted to try. Was planning on buying it later but never did.
    Dearborn MI
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    The recipes are only a portion of the value of Serious Barbecue.  The techniques, lore and tips that are included throughout the text are worth the price of admission.  Yes, the recipes are complex, but the ones I have used are most excellent,  Great for elevating your game!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    The recipes are only a portion of the value of Serious Barbecue.  The techniques, lore and tips that are included throughout the text are worth the price of admission.  Yes, the recipes are complex, but the ones I have used are most excellent,  Great for elevating your game!!

I agree with this.  If you just want recipes, he has a ton on his site for free as well.
    NOLA
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

The jury is out and SB it is. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for everyone's input/opinion.

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Serious BBQ is a great book and learning tool.  I have started using his techniques on other cooks as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I bought Serious BBQ based on the reviews here, and don't regret it.  Only flaw is that there is not a picture for every recipe - Too much to ask for I guess because that's normal for a cookbook.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I bought Serious BBQ based on the reviews here, and don't regret it.  Only flaw is that there is not a picture for every recipe - Too much to ask for I guess because that's normal for a cookbook.
    It's funny because I've mostly cooked the recipes he does have pics for.  I bet there are some real gems I've missed as a result.

The one exception is his BBQ sauce, which I have made, and it is fantastic. Real crowd pleaser.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike