Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Capturing the fire temp

Options
Actually I know there will be a time I wish that I never made this post because I am doomed to fail some time in the future ..... I find initial egg temps easy to achieve mainly because of prior experience .....we heated our house with Danish Morso cast iron stove for 25 year when our kids were young......I spent many hours caressing that stove to determine the temp of the cast iron to help determine how much more combustion air was needed to raise the temp to be what you wanted it to be......I find myself caressing the egg in the same way to nurse along temps to the desired area.....I find that pretty comforting actually .....but I do remember that wood stoves could also be unpredictable.......so something exciting with temp management can always happen.....
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• ThrasherIII
    ThrasherIII Posts: 252
    Options
    Question for you after lighting the egg and temp starts to rise i have the bottom door wide open, and the daisy wheel to the side, as open as i can get it. My target temp is say 400. What would you suggest on how to capture that temp?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Be the egg- You have an underlying appreciation for the environment you are working with and have made the transition.  Go forth and practice your skills.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Be the egg- 
    I love this!
    New Orleans LA
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    I am asking so that i may learn the way of the egg from the BGE sensei’s. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I am asking so that i may learn the way of the egg from the BGE sensei’s. 
    I would not be one! But @lousubcap most definitely is. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Here is a good visual guide for different vent settings and corresponding temps. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Mattman3969, that is a great visual. Lousubcap would you have any wisdom to add to this? i am asking so that i may learn to be one with the egg and be like water
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Thermal mass , you have a great skill set,  ...i don't even have a thermometer on my Egg
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Thermal mass , you have a great skill set,  ...i don't even have a thermometer on my Egg
    What elements do you use to determine the temp to render the protein to a juicy finish?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited July 2020
    Options
    A few odd things will occasionally happen, like a delicate cathedral of lump suddenly collapsing and temporarily spiking temps, or the lump path burns out, even airholes getting clogged.  Sometimes outside temps shift, a cold front blows in, it starts to rain or the lump gods decide to bless or smite your cook.

You will find 99.99% of the time if you just let the egg do its thing and do not react, you will be fine.  Things will settle out again.  Only real issue is super low and slows with very little air and too little lump, or large gaps in the lump causing a flame out.  Run 230 or above with a good load of lump, and this little rascal will not rear its head.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    Thank you all so very much i can now journey forward to practice these sacred teachings. As i seek to be one with the egg.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    For me, anything above 350, I leave the cap off the EGG. The bottom door is around 1 1/2 in open for 400. 
    Las Vegas, NV