Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange temps

I have 4 butts on my right now.  LBGE is stabilized right at 250°.  Maverick says that it's 297°.  Maverick probe is clipped to the top grid, is over the meat and plate setter.  I checked Egg thermometer and it's calibrated correctly so then I assumed that it was Maverick.  Nope!  That was bouncing between 210° and 212°.   Checked to make sure the dome thermometer isn't touching the meat.  Nope!  What the heck is going on?  I've never had the grid temp reading higher than dome temp. 

Jen

Lakeville, MN

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    How long has everything been in there and you haven't opened the dome? With that much meat in there the airflow thermodynamics can be impacted. Give it an hour or so, I bet it evens out. And I'd it doesn't, you will still be fine.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    It went in about 8:30.  I've only opened it to take the Maverick probe out to check calibration.  I've done this size cook quite a few times and have never had the grid temp this much higher than the dome.  I guess I'll just need to make sure I'm up early tomorrow to make sure my butts don't overcook.

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @JenGang‌
    This is the down side of crowding a huge quantity of meat in a small area. You start interfering with the natural draft and flow pattern of the flue gas creating turbulence. @DMW called it right. Give it time and it will ultimately equal out. Nothing to worry about.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    @DMW and @SGH, you were right, it's starting to level out.  I've never had the grid temp so much higher than the dome so it freaked me out.  The only difference this time from all the other times I've done this exact same cook is that the Egg isn't on our deck.  We took it off the deck to refinish it but since it's rained every day since then, that hasn't happened.  :(

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @JenGang‌
    You can count on what @DMW says. He is very accomplished and knowledgable. He is correct more often than not. Glad every thing evened out.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.