Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redfish on the Halfshell

Caught some reds today out of Lake Borgne. Filleted them and left skin on one. Seared the flesh with a blackened style seasoning in the cast iron, then basted with white wine/butter/lemon juice/ponzu sauce. Skin side got oiled and down on raised direct 350 egg with apple wood. They cooked ~10 min and then came off and under foil for a moment. Served with a bit more sauce spooned over. Came out great. Really liked the applewood with this.
"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds great.  Nothing better than fresh red fish.
    edited June 2014
    Never tasted Red Fish, but boy they look a lot like the Corbina (my favorite tasting fish) I caught in the surf along the So. Cal coast. Are they in the Croaker family? 
  • nolaegghead
    @NEWB_IN_NOLA‌
    Looks outstanding my friend!! I live
    on the gulf coast as well and love fresh red fish any way that they are cooked. Awesome job! =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hmmmm :-? Sure are a lot of Reds. In FL your only allowed one per person a day 18"-27". Nice catch!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    I like LA rule on Red Drum better than ours here in FL. ;-). Red drum are a blast to fight and excellent eating!
    http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/red-drum/
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/node/2560
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    That looks tasty! I lived in Sulphur for two years in the mid nineties. When I visited NOLA ,I was surprised by how a red drum could be such a delicacy. It was on menus of the nicest restaurants.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • nolaegghead
    @NPHuskerFL - yeah, the limits and sizes vary by region, but it's because they're struggling more in some regions than others and those limits are necessary for a bountiful harvest.  If we didn't have any limits, no one would catch any after a few years.   We spend a lot of money on research to try to sustain the fish populations so we can come home with fish in the cooler.  The fish with the real long reproductive cycles, like amberjack, could really get decimated for years if we didn't have limits. 

I used to catch lots of flounder around the delta here.  It's rare if you catch one anymore.  There's a lot of political pressure to lift limits that hurts the fisheries just for political reasons.  Alaska is probably the best state in managing it's wildlife.  They don't take **** from anyone.
    Love Redfish, miss living on the Gulf and catching them, nice cook!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    @nolaegghead‌ FL doesn't play on fishing regulations. I've never seen anybody just get a warning. I've been stopped by them before and I have no problem complying with the laws set in place. I understand the reasons but, I was simply saying I love me some Reds! B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Man, makes me want to go to my BIL's house in Savannah and go fish me some grouper now.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Hmmmm :-? Sure are a lot of Reds. In FL your only allowed one per person a day 18"-27". Nice catch!
    Northwest and Northwest zones are two per person per day.

Pensacola,FL