Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BOURBON SHORTAGE

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    On the bright side, maybe scotch prices will go down :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good point, our charcoal supply might be in jeopardy. No question that whiskey/whisky consumption is up around the world - the post war baby boomers alone in North America have caused a huge growth demand. In the past five years the sales of spirits have risen almost 14% while beer has declined 4%. (@henapple probably responsible for the 11.7% one year growth of PBR)
    Saw this referenced at a local craft beer festival:
    The demand for oak charcoal is rising faster than the use of oak for whiskey barrels, iMO. The popularity and growth of kamado cooking is putting a huge demand on lump suppliers - don't know how sustainable it is. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    This also would impact the cost of my favorite hot sauce!! http://sosusauces.com/ Their barrel aged sriracha is out of this world good. 
    Boom
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    caliking said:
    On the bright side, maybe scotch prices will go down :)
    Oh, please, please, please!  Watching the price of my daily dram go up like a rocket over the past few years has been painful.

That being said, lump is made of scraps... so if the logger can command a higher price from the mill, or the mill from the cooper...  even the price of the scraps is going to go up.  I miss the days when I was a kid and there were still furniture factories in Hickory (NC).  At several of them, you could back a pickup truck up to their scrap/trim pile and load it to the brim for five bucks.
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    This also would impact the cost of my favorite hot sauce!! http://sosusauces.com/ Their barrel aged sriracha is out of this world good. 
    Barrel aged sriracha sounds incredible, but I see no way to order it.  How did you get yours?
    Southern California
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited June 2014
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Barrel aged sriracha sounds incredible, but I see no way to order it.  How did you get yours?
    @bicktrav it is unbelievable. I got the 3 month aged. I ordered via kickstarter. they should hopefully have on their site soon. I want to order more. I also got the sambal oelek and spice rub. 
    Next I am going to try their salt and hot sauce. 
    Boom
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌, did you get all that via kickstarter? My body is ready but they only have 4-pack ketchup on their site.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌, did you get all that via kickstarter? My body is ready but they only have 4-pack ketchup on their site.
    I did. I ordered the 3 month aged and because they hit stretch goals I got the other two things included. 
    I cannot say how freaking good the stuff is. I have never had sambal oelek before and now I almost want to eat by the spoon ha. 
    I would contact them to see when they'll be selling other stuff. 
    Boom