Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best 3/2/0.5 St Louis Ribs Recipe - Mouthwateringly Delicious!

jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
I decided to try and create a hybrid of a winter oven ribs recipe I created earlier in the year with a big green egg smoke/roast/char combo cook. The results were delicious and would love others to try it and share their comments Firstly, I used a good store bought dry rub for both sides of the ribs (make sure to remove the membrane before doing this). I like to mix it up a little so did some of the ribs with a spicy rub and another without the heat. I have made my own spice rubs before but find if you get really good store bought ones (bone sucking rubs are good in my opinion) then the difference is pretty limited. After rubbing (be liberal!) I cling wrapped the individual racks and refrigerated overnight To prepare the grill, I filled the egg around 3/4 full with lumpwood charcoal, and about 6 good sized hickory chunks which had been presoaked in warm water for about two hours. I also sprinkled a good handful of soaked Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips evenly on top of the unlit coals. Once a good fire was blazing, I put the place setter in place - legs up, and the grate on top. I then closed the lid and adjusted the airflow to generate a consistent 225 degree heat. This involved opening the top grate just a smidgen, and the slider door around 3/4 inch. I then smoked the ribs on an inverted V rack horizontally for 3 hours. When smoked, I wrapped each rack individually in a foil packet, bone side down, and with plenty of air space within the foil pouches. Into these I poured a marinade made from the following ingredients (about right for 3-4 racks): 15 fl oz sprite, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp mirin, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar, 2 tbsp agave. I then topped each pouch up with a good dose of clear apple juice, sealed the tops and roasted on the grate for a further 2 hours. Lastly, I unwrapped the ribs (leaving excess marinade in the foil) and grilled them directly on the grate for 30 minutes, brushing and turning every 10 minutes. As with the rub, I prepared some with spicy BBQ sauce, and another with a sweeter variety. In each case I also used a high quality store bought brand (sweet baby rays I generally find to be pretty good). Here I opened the grates a little more to grill over 250-275 degree heat. Slice 'em up and enjoy!! Photos attached show the ribs after the smoking, then after the roast and on the grill, and lastly post slicing and just prior to being devoured!

Comments