Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - St. Louis Ribs

Options
posef
posef Posts: 17
Did my first cook on my large egg today, did some St. Louis Ribs and unfortunately they didn't turn out as tender as I had hoped.

I got the dome temp thermometer to stabilize right at 250 +/- around 5 degrees for all 6 hours, which I was really impressed with.

I did the 3-2-1 method, and used Alton Brown's rib rub, and the flavor was fantastic.  Unfortunately, they were pretty tough.  I had two full slabs, but cut them in half when I put them on my rib rack, which may have caused it?  I foiled two of the half slabs and didn't foil the other two, and the foiled ones were definitely more tender.  Or I guess the grill temperature was hotter than the dome temperature? I haven't seen that situation on the forums, though, I don't think.

If anyone has any pointers or suggestions I'd really appreciate it.  Still a ton of fun though and I'm excited to experiment and get better at it.  I'm giving a 4 lb pork butt a go tomorrow.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Have you calibrated your dome temp?  They can be off by quite a bit.  Best way to tell if ribs are done is the bend test.  Pick up the rack of ribs from one end with tongs, a bit less than half way in.  If the ribs bend at a 45° angle or more they are done.
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    I recommend the Turbo method, I will not go back to lo-n-slo for ribs again. Did two racks last week, dome 350, indirect, bone side up for the first hour flip bone side down for the sec on hour. No peeking.

Prep was to pull the membrane and trim the racks down to St. Louis cut. Rubbed with some head country competition rub, it's what I have on hand, no long wait, no mustard tossed onto the Egg. 

Great pull to the meat, not mushy like when I tried the 3-2-1 method,
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I've made many tender racks on the vertical rack. If they were tough, you probably didn't cook them long enough. I've found he rib rack insulates some of the racks with lengthens the cook. Also, you tend to rip the foil if you're foiling, which steams more juice out of the ribs and dries them. Just it the AR and am gonna try some flat turbo ribs today.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • posef
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I did calibrate the dome temp with the boiling water method a couple of days prior, and I've got a ThermoWorks thermometer on the way.  With the dome temp so steady and calibrated, I was surprised to see they were that dry.

I'll give the turbo ribs a shot next time, a lot of people seem to like them that way.  Thanks again!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @posef‌
    They look might good to me my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Turbo is about convenience and timing but should not produce better ribs. Most likely you did not cook your ribs long enough. Search on the bend test. 3-2-1 or 2-2-2. Are just guides. Cook till they are done. I don't foil at all.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @posef‌
    Every one doesn't a little different my friend. Let me offer what works pretty good for me and is simple. For home cooking and personal consumption skip the foil. It's not needed. Rather you chose to go turbo or low and slow just cook them until they are tender. Recently I have been turboing many different cuts of meat just for comparison with good results. But when it comes to spares I still prefer 250-275 but that's just me. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Maybe just a stubborn slab, 2 hours in foil should have done the trick for most slabs out there. Did you add anything to the foil?  If I choose to foil I just use pineapple juice. I've tried so many variations of fancy things over the past 9 years but always seemed to like just plain old pineapple juice. A few TBSP per slab and double wrapped in HD foil. Oh and BTW I've cut my slabs in half most of the time and notice no difference between 1/2 and full slabs in the cooking department.  
    Dearborn MI
  • posef
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers everyone i really appreciate it.  More often I hear to go no foil.  As far as what I put inside the foil, I put about 2 tablespoons of butter, some honey, and brown sugar, which was from a random recipe I found (can't quite remember which through the haystack I've been looking through).  I'm looking forward to giving it another go though.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I've tried turbo, 3-2-1, and 6-0-0. By far the winner for me is 6-0-0. Turbo is good if ur in a time crunch and just need ribs, but the low and slow renders the fat the best and is most tender without being overdone.

Just calibrate your dome thermo, practice on keeping stable temps, and experiment. Find what you like the best. For me, turbo can't match the nice mahogany bark on low and slow. I did my last batch of st louis at 250 and they were perfect.

+1 on the bend test. Best way to know.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Blue Bottle squeeze Parkay is popular instead of butter as well.

Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Foil is a personal preference. Several Grand Champions foil butts, briskets, and ribs. That's why I like cooking and not eating out. Besides the food being a lot better you can do it just like you want to.  
    Dearborn MI
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    One thing that helped me was the toothpick test. When they are done the toothpick will go in to the ribs and it should feel like you are pushing the toothpick into softened butter. Simple, but helped me know when to pull and when to leave on a little longer. When they pass this test they will be tender. FWIW.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    When not in a time crunch and feel the need to consume more adult beverage I will go 5hrs at 250. If in a hurry turbo is awesome, 350 for 1 1/2hrs sauce and 15mins more. Last Sunday I did a modified version, 250 for about 2-2 1/2hrs then cranked up to 350 till they passed the bend test,sauced and 20 mins later done. There are so many ways to achieve the final result. Do what works for you or your timeline.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.