Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear

Options
jllbms
jllbms Posts: 381
Can I get a few comments on how to reverse sear a steak? I assume it's cooked on an elevated grate to temp, then seared on the grate? What type of burn for the first part? Thanks, John
Kemah, TX

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Never mind. JFGI.
    Kemah, TX
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You'll never do it another way.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I nailed some strip steaks over the weekend. Bought an entire loin and cut several three finger steaks shile heating the Egg up to 250F indirect. Threw those bad boys in there with some mesquite for smoke, I prefer oak, and let them ride until they reached 115F IT. Took them off and went direct with the grate low and set the Egg wide open. Once the coals were nuclear seared each side for a minute. Goog if you like but it's that simple. They were perfect!
  • MMeyer
    MMeyer Posts: 1
    Options

Part of this requires changing the grate height. How do you prefer to do this with a full fire? How do you switch from indirect to direct in the middle of a fire?

Newbie, yes, but need some advice.

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    My friend Jason @ BBQFOOD4U made a video on my technique. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    MMeyer said:

Part of this requires changing the grate height. How do you prefer to do this with a full fire? How do you switch from indirect to direct in the middle of a fire?

Newbie, yes, but need some advice.

Very carefully! 

You'll need something to help lift the grid and plate setter out and some type of heat resistant glove as well. Make sure you have a spot to set these two down and know where you're going with them. Once you've got a hold of one or the other you want to be able to set it somewhere PDQ!

I usually set mine of some paver stones on top of my table. If you're going to use the same grate for your sear do not put the plate setter on top of it when you take them out.

Put the grate back on and open up the top and bottom vents all the way.

Make sure you "mop" the juices off of the outside of the steaks (with paper towel) before putting them back on for the sear.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Can't emphasize enough what TOTN says regarding drying the surface of the pulled, sitting steaks. A wet surface steak will take at least twice as long to "Mailard" as a dry steak - the secret is to sear and sear quickly. 
    I leave my CI grid in the egg with the setter sitting on it for the low and slow part of the cook. Once you pull the meat/grid and setter, the CI grid is already smoking hot. Within 5 minutes you are searing.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!