Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cranky hinge - the time honored solution!

So my large egg turns seven in July, and my hinge has been acting up since the dismal NY winter of '14.  The hinge would bind in place when open, and lid wouldn't seal when closed. I finally got around to calling the head office on Friday afternoon, but naturally they were closed for the long weekend.  So this morning, I got all of the tools out to begin fiddling with the bands and hinge,  Halfway though, I figured out the tool I should have started with. A couple of well placed squirts of WD40, and all is working like new!  Pizza for lunch, St Louis ribs for dinner, and one less warranty claim for BGE... 
Mamaroneck

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited May 2014
    Proves the old adage - If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.  If it moves and it should not, use Duct Tape. 
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    As Tj says - the best two secret weapons for every handyman, WD40 and duct tape. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    L-) Ummmm..... tie wire/bailing wire too!!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507

Remember to follow up with some 3 in 1 oil as WD40 aka WATER Displacement formula 40, mostly solvent, or it start to seize up again.

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I still think you have a very clever forum name. Once upon a time, on the old forum, someone asked where forum names came from. Had never guessed yours, though I suppose it's obvious. Too focused on "Mama".  :D 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386

I still think you have a very clever forum name. Once upon a time, on the old forum, someone asked where forum names came from. Had never guessed yours, though I suppose it's obvious. Too focused on "Mama".  :D 

That's just how everyone outside the NY metro area pronouces it. Basically every call center and help desk!
    Mamaroneck