Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FAR better vent

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I got our egg almost three years ago and my sister-in-law got hers last August. Visited her last week and saw the differences between the two. Her lower vent is MUCH better than ours; it's more substantial and easier to adjust to fine levels. It also has plastic tabs. I'm thinking about ordering one for the large and another for the mini. Anyone with two eggs with the different vents? I'm curious about what others think.
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Mine has plastic covers on metal tabs.  They come off all the time.  It's infuriating.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Other than appearance is there any better performance? I mean the size of the hole in the ceramic hasn't changed...just sayin...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    On mine, the plastic covers melted.  It looks good on the showroom floor, but not sure they add anything. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2014
    Options
    tksmoke said:
    On mine, the plastic covers melted.  It looks good on the showroom floor, but not sure they add anything. 
    Mine have melted too. They do help when making adjustments when the egg is hot.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I think the vents are very similar, new units have tabs covered with a protective sleeve. 
    A few years ago there were a number of posts about folks cutting their fingers on the sometimes very sticky, hard to adjust lower vents. Seemed to be very pronounced in the 2010-2012 versions, IMO. BGE responded with covering the often very sharp tabs on the screen and vent with plastic covers. 
    One poster gashed himself pretty good as I recall, stitches required. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    The plastic on my tabs were cut by the metal tabs themselves when adjusting the valves within the first weekend I used my egg.  They weren't much
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    My dad and I unboxes his Komodo joe last night. Overall I felt it looked a touch cheaper than the egg but did have some interesting features. The bottom vent has a huge handle for adjustments, I've never noticed mine being to hot to handle but this obviously won't get hot. And also there is a pull out ash tray. I'm interested to see how that works. But I normally just pull my innards out and vacuum anyway.

XLBGE 
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    The lady at our dealer chastised me for taking out the firebox to clean the Egg, "You're going to break it!" Really. Sort of like "You'll shoot your eye out!" :))
    Kemah, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    jllbms said:
    The lady at our dealer chastised me for taking out the firebox to clean the Egg, "You're going to break it!" Really. Sort of like "You'll shoot your eye out!" :))
    She might be right! Never had mine out. My "rake" fits right around the sides of the firebox to pull the ash out. I always leave a bit of ash in the bottom under the grate anyway, old fireplace trick to prolong the life of firebricks is to insulate them from heat with ashes. Just assumes it might work for eggs as well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!