Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Hamburger Seasonings?

2»

Comments

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Where do you find DP Cow Lick?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    SJ21XDC said:

you can also season the bun by coating with a light butter washing then apply some rub to the exterior before browning, i do that alot with hot dog rolls where the seasoning gets lost with the toppings. i think with that gooey center it might be the way to go
    Do you apply the rub to the outside of the bun or the inside?  What rub do you use?
    i like dp jamacan firewalk on hot dog rolls with chili dogs. for i hamburger i might put zatar seasoning and salt, maybe even caraway seeds and salt. i like butter grilled bread with zatar and caraway and salt is my favorite home made pretzel. apply lightly on the outside
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    "Unfortunately, while this sounds good, most of the family is allergic to onions :(< Just thinking out loud, but I wonder how this would work with a different substance (jalapenos, pickles etc..) Any liquid that will dissolve the gelatin powder works. The first time I did it, I only used water. I'm not sure what else would work as well. A cup of jalapeno juice added to a pound of ground beef I think might lead to a burger that would eat holes thru stomachs. Conceivably, tomato juice would work. What you can do to make the burger super-beefy is cheat, and use broth.
  • SJ21XDC

Ok, thanks!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Gruyere is like Swiss
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Little tip from your uncle Chuck, EVOO Sea Salt and GOOD fresh ground Black Pepper on 80/20, don't over handle and if you cook past medium rare go ahead and unfriendl me. 450/500 and cheese of choice when ready until yummy! Don't skimp on a simple toasted bun!
    Chuck
    Dimondale, Michigan
    www.chuckkingcomedy.com
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SJ21XDC
    Zmokin said:
    Gruyere is like Swiss
    Ok - thanks.  It's on my list to try!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• SJ21XDC
    Little tip from your uncle Chuck, EVOO Sea Salt and GOOD fresh ground Black Pepper on 80/20, don't over handle and if you cook past medium rare go ahead and unfriendl me. 450/500 and cheese of choice when ready until yummy! Don't skimp on a simple toasted bun! Chuck Dimondale, Michigan www.chuckkingcomedy.com
    Thanks Chuck.  I've tried this combination and like it!  I'm working the family down from everything being well done, but medium is the best I've been able to do at this point :)

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2014
    I have been using a seasoning called BURGER BATTER. I purchased locally at Longos supermarket but their onsite at https://fireinthekitchen.ca/ it's not bad.
    Brampton, Ontario

• ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    My favorite, and my family's is a recipe I got from a local burger cookoff winner

2-3 lbs burger
    1/4 cup bbq sauce
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tbs brown sugar
    1 tbs lemon pepper
    1 tbs hot shot pepper
    1 tbs of your favorite steak seasoning

Mix together and make your patties..Very juicy and awesome!!
    I also use some of this in my meatloaf when I make it.  They are sweet and spicey!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Can you use oyster sauce instead of fish sauce? I have oyster sauce and I'm making burgers tonight. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • SJ21XDC
    ktm101 said:
    My favorite, and my family's is a recipe I got from a local burger cookoff winner

2-3 lbs burger
    1/4 cup bbq sauce
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tbs brown sugar
    1 tbs lemon pepper
    1 tbs hot shot pepper
    1 tbs of your favorite steak seasoning

Mix together and make your patties..Very juicy and awesome!!
    I also use some of this in my meatloaf when I make it.  They are sweet and spicey!
    Thanks - Looks good and I will give this a try very soon!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Oakridge Santa Maria on anything beef here.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Our favorite. 2T salt 1T pepper 1/2T garlic salt 1/2T onion salt 1t Celery salt
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    gdenby said:
    Here's a trick I learned that is designed for use w. really lean ground meats, but works well with ordinary grinds. For 1 pound meat. Put 2 medium sized onions in a blender, and reduce to mush. Place the mush in a strainer, and collect all the juice. Should produce about a half a cup. Heat half the juice, and drop in a packet of unflavored gelatin. When that dissolves, add the rest of the juice and a couple dashes of Wooster. Mix that into the meat. Let the meat sit chilling for 20 - 30 minutes before forming patties. The gelatin provides extra succulence, and even helps the surface crisp up a bit better. The onion juice gives all of the flavor of caramelized onions, and it suffuses the patties.
    You're basically making an aspic.  That's a tried and true method.
    Frank's RedHot Commercial - Bake Sale: http://youtu.be/g5R1mTyYMuU
    Frank's RedHot Commercial- Bingo Night: http://youtu.be/USfwio7kYtA
    A little S&P and Frank's
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Can you use oyster sauce instead of fish sauce? I have oyster sauce and I'm making burgers tonight. 

Oooh, I gotta try that!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Fish sauce! No more than 1 tsp per pound, and maybe start with half that to make sure you like it. Don't double up on fish sauce and Worchestershire. 
    Yes!  Fish sauce and Worcestershire sauce are very similar in that their base is fermented fish.  One or the other, but not both.

I like to joke that Worcestershire is just fish sauce for Americans.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I know it's way too late for this post but the new Cooks Illustrated just did an edition with burgers. They recommended 1 1/2lbs of  beef sirloin tips ground fresh and 4 TBSP of hard butter ran through the grinder with the meat. Then loosely packing them and freezing them for 30 minutes. They found the extremely loose pack made a much better burger. Without the 30 minute freeze they fell apart though. They said that over working the meat produced the worse results due to the Myosin proteins changing but we already know this isn't good without the Myosin comment LOL. Salt and pepper were the seasoning if I remember correctly..........I'm going to try this on a baking steel as soon as I get mine without the freeze and see what happens.  
    Dearborn MI
  • SJ21XDC
    KenfromMI said:
    I know it's way too late for this post but the new Cooks Illustrated just did an edition with burgers. They recommended 1 1/2lbs of  beef sirloin tips ground fresh and 4 TBSP of hard butter ran through the grinder with the meat. Then loosely packing them and freezing them for 30 minutes. They found the extremely loose pack made a much better burger. Without the 30 minute freeze they fell apart though. They said that over working the meat produced the worse results due to the Myosin proteins changing but we already know this isn't good without the Myosin comment LOL. Salt and pepper were the seasoning if I remember correctly..........I'm going to try this on a baking steel as soon as I get mine without the freeze and see what happens.  

Sounds good - let me know how it turns out.

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SJ21XDC said:
    Where do you find DP Cow Lick?

http://dizzypigbbq.com/

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SJ21XDC
    JRWhitee said:
    SJ21XDC said: