Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat gun failure - need tips

Options
After reading a bit here I decided to try a $35 1500w Porter Cable Heat gun as my main source to light my XL. The first time it seemed to work great. Then I added new lump for a rib cook and it failed miserably. I couldn't get anything to light no matter what I did. After over 15 minutes I soaked some paper towels in oil and lite them and finally got my lump to light. I could hear crackling but no matter what I tried the heat gun never seemed to get the lump going. Can anyone share their methods or tips?
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Loof Lighter!!
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @pretzelb
    Weed burner my friend. You can almost set water on fire with it. There is nothing better and you can also use it to clean your plate setter when all else fails. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    I'll second the Loof Lighter.  I've only lit my egg three times so far, but took no longer than 2 minutes each time!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Mapp gas
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited May 2014
    Options

+5 for the Weed burner.  I've used paraffin starter cubes, graduated to the Looftlighter, which is way better, but the weed burner using MAP gas is in a totally different league.  I use a $10 Map gas cylinder which is very portable, and the last one ran for 4 months, lighting 3-4 times a week.  They are for sale at Amazon $38 - here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1400473637&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Weed+torch+bernza  Free shipping with Prime.  There is no question about lighting, ever.  Light as much or as little as you want, depending on the type of cook. 

I put this in the same class as the Thermapen - there are other things that do the same job; this is the one to have.

Santa Paula, CA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I also use a 1,500 watt Porter Cable heat gun. I have had no problems at all lighting my lump with it. 

I am using Rockwood lump, but it shouldn't matter. I know this is a stupid question, but you did have the gun dialed in for the highest temp didn't you? 

If your gun is like mine I can control the heat. On the lowest setting it is almost like a hair dryer. It would never start lump like that. 

When I light my lump I turn the gun to the highest setting and let the end of the gun touch the lump, and I just leave it there for about a minute. 

By then I have a lot red sparks, and then I back it up a few inches and that is it. My fire is burning hot. 

If you had your gun on high then I think your gun has failed you! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    I had it on high heat but I ran the low fan speed. I was holding the gun about an inch away but near the end I was practically touching the lump. I didn't want to block the air flow thinking the gun could overheat. The weed burner just scares me. I might go back to the wax starters.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I suppose you might try the high fan speed as well.  If that doesn't work perhaps the gun simply isn't getting hot enough.  Perhaps you could use a thermometer (like the dome thermo) to see how hot it is?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    You might just have a lemon. How long ago did you buy your heat gun? A MAPP torch will get the Job done. If you need a cheaper option for a Looftlighter there's a better design Looflighter knock off here.

http://www.thegardengates.com/Kamado-Joe-Blow-Lighter-p31006.aspx
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    pretzelb said:
    I had it on high heat but I ran the low fan speed. I was holding the gun about an inch away but near the end I was practically touching the lump. I didn't want to block the air flow thinking the gun could overheat. The weed burner just scares me. I might go back to the wax starters.
    Turn it on the highest heat it will go to and put the fan on the highest setting. I actually have the end of my gun touch the lump. 

Trust me. If you do it this way it WILL light! As soon as you get one coal red then back it off a couple of inches and you have a nice roaring fire. 

If I ruin my gun so be it. Like Frank Sinatra said I am doing it My Way! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I used to turn mine on high and lay it in the lump...best not done unless sober and don't if you're distracted by shiny objects.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    henapple said:
    I used to turn mine on high and lay it in the lump...best not done unless sober and don't if you're distracted by shiny objects.
    thats how i cought 2 mapp torch heads on fire, beer caps should not be so shiny
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pretzelb
    pretzelb Posts: 158
    Options
    henapple said:
    That's why I'm avoiding the mapp torch or weed burner.

So I tried it twice more and the results were better. Seems like the newer the lump the more difficult it becomes (I use Ozark Oak right now). 

Today I did a brisket and I put a big layer of new lump on top of some left over lump. I put the gun right on a piece of new lump (low fan but high heat) and just held it there for over a minute. Then I would move it to another spot in the same area (about a few inches away) to get a different angle. I did this a few times and just when I thought it wasn't going to work I saw a slight glow. I then just turned the gun on that glow from different angles to make sure it was hot.

The strange thing is that I think it started an older piece of lump that was under the top layer. So it's good that I got it working, I'm not sure if this is something that will work with all new lump. 
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Love my looft lighter. I've had my grill up to 600 in 10 minutes.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE