Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in versus bone free

tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I have been asked to cook for the extended family next week. Should be approx 40 people. Planning on pulled pork using Boston Butts. Is there a noticeable difference between bone-in butts versus boneless butts? The only thing I can think of is maybe having to tie the boneless butts before putting on the egg. Any other appreciable differences to think about?
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Just me but I tend to think there is more flavour with bone in but that's just me
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    No real difference other than as you note with the possibility of having to tie.  They cook at the same pace (and each hunk behaves its own way).  Easier to tell the finish-line with bone in as "when the bone pulls clean then it's finished".  With boneless go til tender and that will likely be around 200*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I tend to go bone out, because that's the way my local butcher has them, already tied. Once done, cut off the string and pull. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bones Rule (I want bone in all meat)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap said:

No real difference other than as you note with the possibility of having to tie.  They cook at the same pace (and each hunk behaves its own way).  Easier to tell the finish-line with bone in as "when the bone pulls clean then it's finished".  With boneless go til tender and that will likely be around 200*F.  FWIW-

I agree Lou,

The bone is pretty good probe. I've never found a reason to buy a boneless shoulder.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Biggest reason for buying boneless?

I'm not paying for something that is going into the garbage. 

Bones aren't going to add any flavor unless your making soup(the marrow turns to gelatin) since nothing passes through them. To me the only advantage of the bone is a built in "pop-up timer" to determine if it is done.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited May 2014
    I like to crunch the bones with my teeth, make necklaces with them and tie a large femur in my long hair if I'm going to a ceremony.  Sometimes I just stack them up high.

Edit - Baking and grilling, they can look nice, like in a cowboy ribeye.  For broths, stew, crockpot stuff, pho, demiglace, etc, definitely bone-in.  
    My local experience is bone in always costs less per pound, making up for the waste.

I like the bone in mainly because if it wiggles freely I know the butt is done.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• freddyj
    freddyj Posts: 129
    Harry Soo has a very interesting opinion on this: the bone adds flavor, just like using a bone for soup. Not many soups do not call for a bone. He must know something, right?
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

freddyj said:
    Harry Soo has a very interesting opinion on this: the bone adds flavor, just like using a bone for soup. Not many soups do not call for a bone. He must know something, right?
    In blind taste tests with steaks, tasters can't tell the difference if the bone was in or out during cooking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks DMW. Good info.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    FWIW, I usually do bone in, finish indicator built in. However when I did 6 at a time in 2 batches for a total of 12 I did boneless. When they were finished I tossed them 3 at a time in a food grade bucket and hit them with the RoMan Pork Puller. Bone in would have been a bit more effort to make sure I got all bone out before went all crazy on it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker