Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trick Question: Keep "L" or sell and get a "Mini-Max" to complement "XL"

2»

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited May 2014
    Another vote for keeping the Large and getting a cheap kettle for tailgating.  Also remember you can use the Large's pizza stone, platesetter, etc. in the XL too.

May be I'm missing something, I don't get the 'two Larges can share accessories' concept as an advantage over XL+L.  I use my Large's platesetter, pizza stone, drip pan, etc. in my XL.
    canuckland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The KJ junior is available and I love mine. $400 with a stand, woo like raised cooking adapter, stone for indirect, and ash tool. Hard deal to beat. Also good choice never sell your XL. I wouldn't trade my XL for 2 larges.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Seems my original topic has kind of derailed, and I actually am at least partly to blame, hehe... any more thoughts regarding my current conundrum?

My bad :-D. If the LG is getting no use and your family's needs would be better fulfilled with the XL and MM I say do it.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Yes - right - wrote Jimmy but thought Johnny - sorry Johnny!

Egglegal Alien - Keep the large egg - it'll get use, won't it?  If not, sell her, but really now it's a LBGE - what's not to love?
  • Seems my original topic has kind of derailed, and I actually am at least partly to blame, hehe... any more thoughts regarding my current conundrum?
    My bad :-D. If the LG is getting no use and your family's needs would be better fulfilled with the XL and MM I say do it.
    Hehehe, no prob... 

Oh, it gets used alright, it's been cooked on 3 times in the last seven days, XL got 2 uses on the same time... I don't know if it's "a phase", but I've been cooking on a BGE 5+ times a week on average since I first got one last August.

If I'd had the MM, 2 of those 3 cooks on the L could have been done there and the third would have been done on the XL.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • Another vote for keeping the Large and getting a cheap kettle for tailgating.  Also remember you can use the Large's pizza stone, platesetter, etc. in the XL too.

May be I'm missing something, I don't get the 'two Larges can share accessories' concept as an advantage over XL+L.  I use my Large's platesetter, pizza stone, drip pan, etc. in my XL.
    The thing I don't fancy about getting a cheep kettle is that I really like to get 600+ temps for most of my steaks (which I figure would be a major part of my camping/picnic menus) and I don't think I could get those temps on them, of if they'd collapse after a few uses at that temp if I do get there.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sell the large, buy the mini-max.  Don't listen to any of these other folk, they're just projecting their desires into your advice.
    What would you "GAIN" by losing the LG and getting the MM. List pros vs cons on each. I just feel the LG would win that battle. But, that's your decision friend.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    @NPHuskerFL: more space, not spending any more money, not having the capacity to be asked to cook for giant crowds, spending less on lump with a smaller grill, etc.  But the OP has defined his needs, I'm just making them up based on your question.
    edited May 2014
    Pros and cons I see of selling the L and getting the MM

Pros:
    Sear temp capable mobility
    Save a little space on my smallish deck
    Save a little lump (pfff!) 

Cons: 
    Selling an Egg (somehow it feels wrong, plus I don't expect to get back what I paid for it and I know it's still worth)
    Losing some grill surface 
    Having to re-buy accessories

Can be done with the L but could be better with the Mini-Max
    Dual cooks with roasts / grilling / sides done on XL and searing on the smaller Egg
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    Why not have both?  You were going to buy the mini-max anyway.  It's a hard decision - but a fun one.  On one hand you can have a mini-max for zero $$ from your wallet, or you could be the proud owner of 3 eggs.  Will they all get use?  If so, why discard one?  
  • Egglegal_Alien
    Egglegal_Alien Posts: 113
    edited May 2014
    grill4us said:
    Why not have both?  You were going to buy the mini-max anyway.  It's a hard decision - but a fun one.  On one hand you can have a mini-max for zero $$ from your wallet, or you could be the proud owner of 3 eggs.  Will they all get use?  If so, why discard one?  
    Having enough trouble selling the whole two BGE idea to SWMBO, hehehe.

... I still might do it though.

• Egglegal_Alien
    edited May 2014
    I'm starting to buy into the "keep both XL and L and give the Smokey Joe a try" idea.

The Smokey should do at least for the time it takes BGE to launch the MM, and in the meanwhile I'll have enough time to test drive the XL + L combo.

And even if the kettle don't deliver searing temps or it melts down from them I'll come back to think some more about buying the MM and it won't be a huge loss, The Smokey Joe it's cheeper than almost any BGE accessory, hehe... 

Thanks for your input guys!
  • Canugghead
    Want to test drive my Sputnik?

canuckland
  • Sure thing... can you ship it to Mexico? 

What is that thing? Looks cool.
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    What would you get for the large? Nor too much. Keep it and get a MM too if you think you really need one.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Canugghead
    marketed by IKEA many moons ago! I got it at a yard sale.

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    That's the "Kugelgrill" from Ikea.   It's häftigt.

edited May 2014

Want to test drive my Sputnik?

That'll look purdy propped up on the left side of my table. Edit> or on the tailgate at the beach!
    ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm starting to buy into the "keep both XL and L and give the Smokey Joe a try" idea.

The Smokey should do at least for the time it takes BGE to launch the MM, and in the meanwhile I'll have enough time to test drive the XL + L combo.

And even if the kettle don't deliver searing temps or it melts down from them I'll come back to think some more about buying the MM and it won't be a huge loss, The Smokey Joe it's cheeper than almost any BGE accessory, hehe... 

To get a good sear, you don't need high dome temp. You need high temp from the coal below. Either fill the kettle a bit higher than normal and/or drop the grid down lower, use a CI pan directly on the coals, or just drop the steak directly on the coals. BTW, I like the keep both and get another idea.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Keep the L, buy a Smokey Joe ($30) for tailgaiting. 

I have been looking at a Jumbo Joe locally. It is $25 at a returns store
    You mean like Big Lots?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Egglegal_Alien
    edited May 2014
    DMW said:

To get a good sear, you don't need high dome temp. You need high temp from the coal below. Either fill the kettle a bit higher than normal and/or drop the grid down lower, use a CI pan directly on the coals, or just drop the steak directly on the coals. BTW, I like the keep both and get another idea.

I know, I've done both, first time I dropped a steak straight on the charcoal I was surprised not to get virtually any ash stuck to it :D.

...still, I think airflow on BGE helps getting higher charcoal temp, same principle behind bellows on a forge.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

If you'll be doing mostly high-temp searing you might want to check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L410-Pre-Seasoned-Sportsmans-Charcoal/dp/B00022OK2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400089540&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+grill

I know some people who have them for camping and it works great for steaks/burgers/hot dogs.  It may be a touch pricier than some of the other things you're looking at, but Lodge generally makes great stuff, and if you keep your eyes on Amazon the price might drop some, if it isn't a pressing need.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• I don't get the Minimax. Short as the Mini with a bigger diameter. Makes it just a heavier mini in my mind.
    Gittin' there...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Agreed.  Same draft door as the small, mini?  Reduced firebox size, BBQ will be a challenge with the ConvEGGtor thrown in the mix?  Elimination of raised direct, where the BGE shines IMO? 

Nice thing about the small, it works similar to it's larger siblings.  Going from an 8lb butt at 250 to 12" pizzas at 600.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."