Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cuatro de Mayo bday Barbacoa = Yum!

Options
I saw this post from Dyal_SC with original reference to Cen-Tex a few weeks back and hadn't been able to get it out of my mind. Looked so amazing!

I knew i had to do this cook soon. So..I had about 20+ people coming on sunday for my bday Cuatro de Mayo party so i figured this was the perfect time. My girlfriend asked if i should be trying something new with all these people coming over? "Of course!" was my reply. This is what us eggers do. Only bummer was setting my alarm for 6:40am on my bday to get up and fire up the egg, but thats when all the fun began.

I followed the recipe in the original post as close as possible. I couldn't find a good mexican bbq rub so went with Running Wild-Warm Spice. It turned out great. I also cooked 3 / 3 lb chuck roasts. Tip for anyone trying this with similar cuts versus one 4-5 lb roast as in the original post, the cook time will reduce greatly due to thickness from 4-5 hours @ 275 to 2.5 to 3. I hit 158 internal around 2.5 hours and then did a reverse sear before placing in the dutch oven.

The onions and jalapenos turned out amazing as well. I had never tried corn tortillas before. They added a great flavor. I had several chef friends attend who were all very impressed. (i follow direction well. lol) Will definitely repeat. The pics of final product unfortunately were rushed due to feeding frenzy. I almost forgot to take them. enjoy!

What are you waiting for? Cook this now! And thanks for the original posts.  :)

Cheers.

Woodstock, GA

Comments