Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Ribeye and Corn

Options
Decided on an old standby tonight with ribeye steaks and corn on the cob.  Pulled the husk on the corn and rubbed with butter, salt, and pepper.  Replaced the husk and wrapped in foil.  Steaks were marinated with salt, pepper, garlic, and worcesteshire.

Decided to go with the Trex method on cooking steaks.  Brought the egg up to 700 with the cast iron grid in place.  I didn't let the cast iron heat up for a great turn out on the sear marks.  Let the steaks sear on both sides for ninety seconds.  Pulled the steaks for the 20 minute resting time and brought the egg back down to 400.  During the cool down time the corn went on the grill.

Steaks Resting

Steaks have rested for 20 minutes and the egg is back down to 400 degrees.  Back on the egg with the rested steaks.

I let the steaks cook on each side for 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees.  Pulled the steaks at 132 overshooting my mid rare goal by a couple of degrees and not allowing for the resting period temperature rise.  A little trick I picked up from the boards and I believe @RRP was to rest the steaks on a raised grid instead of a cold plate.  When I have been resting my steaks on a cold plate I was loosing juices during the resting period creating a little swimming pool of meat juice for my resting steaks.  Used one of SWMBO cookie racks over tin foil and lost a significantly reduced amount of meat juice during the resting period.

All in all a great meal but I was correct with overshooting my mid rare goal with medium steaks.  Final product came out great according to the rest of the family though.  Still the rest on this board know how hard it is to meet our standards when cooking.

Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg

Comments

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Nice meal. A little too cooked for me, but I would still gladly eat it.
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I would agree on the overcooking of the steak. A little slow this time with the thermapen.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I bet it was good!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not a Auburn fan at all but I have to admit the food looks great my friend. Any chance of you coming over to the Crimson Tide side? Just messing with you brother. Again your food looks great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Auburntgr
    Options
    @SGH‌ thanks for the compliment on the food. Not much of a chance coming to the Alabama side but I am ready for football season to start. I believe it is going to be another great year of football with the Iron Bowl having a major say in the SEC Championship race and the playoffs.
  • weredaone
    weredaone Posts: 53
    Options

looks great!

tell me more about the resting on the raised rack....... 

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Try the corn without the foil. Very different flavor.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Auburntgr
    Options

weredaone said:

looks great!

tell me more about the resting on the raised rack....... 

When I have been resting the steaks in the past I have used a cold plate straight from the cabinet to rest the steaks.  While the steaks were resting in this plate they would form their own meat juice pool to soak in instead of keeping the juices inside the steak.

I believe it was RRP that mentioned a heated plate should be used or a raised grid to help retain the juices during the resting period.  This was after an individual posted a final plate presentation of their steaks in a plate full of juice. 

My theory is the steaks are not shocked as much releasing juices on a raised rack with less of the steak touching a surface or a warm plate not shocking the steak.  This is just my theory without any research.  I found this raised grid over some tin foil to catch any juices was extremely effective for me not releasing all the juices during the resting period.

• Auburntgr
    Options
    cajuncook said:
    Try the corn without the foil. Very different flavor.

Love the flavor of the corn outside of the tin foil but the foil allows a place and forget strategy for me.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2014
    Options

Auburntgr said:  I believe it is going to be another great year of football with the Iron Bowl having a major say in the SEC Championship race and the playoffs. 
    I agree 100 percent. Do you by chance live in Auburn? I am ashamed to say as a Crimson Tide fan that my daughter now lives there.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Auburntgr
    Options
    My parents and my brothers family live there now. My dad is retired and I have to admit it is probably one of the best towns in the south for retirement. I am sure your daughter is loving it outside of the rivalry.