Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rib Roast - HOOYAH!

Options
MGBBob80
MGBBob80 Posts: 20
Cooked my first rib roast today and was very pleased with the results. It was a 5-lb roast and I cooked it as follows: Maintained dome temperature about 300, probe on the grill read about 275 throughout the cook. BGE Lump with a couple of chunks of cherry provided the heat. I elected to go bone-in and used a 50/50 kosher salt/black pepper rub the day before and then pulled out of the refrigerator an hour or so before putting on the grill. Cooked until internal temp was 122, pulled and tented, raised BGE temp to 550 and then seared roast for 90 seconds on each side. Initial cook was indirect with plate setter, roast on rack and drip pan below. I used direct eat to sear, then tented for 20 minutes, cut and served. Temp was about 133 when served. The results - very good! No left-overs if that tells me anything.

Au Jus came from this site (RRP's Au Jus).  My thanks to the provider - it was great!

Photos show: pre-cook, temp at 122, post-sear and served.

Although this was good, I'm always looking for ways to improve.  Any advice on how to make it better gladly received.

Cheers,
Bob

imageimageimageimage
I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks pretty good, for the first one - Congrats. 
    I like doing them with out the bones, easier to carve and they can be tied round, makes cooking and searing easier, again, great cook.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    I have one that's about 2.5 pounds I just rubbed down with the same.  About how many hours did it take?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg