Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Onion "doughnuts" w. bacon

gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,986
Tried these yesterday, came out good, will do more.

Cut 2 slices at the "equator" of a large Vidalia onion. Brushed on several coat of Cholula sauce. The original recipe used Sriracha, but I didn't have any of that around. Wrapped w. bacon, and skewered. The onion ringsa were a little to large, and I had to stretch the bacon to get coverage. As the bacon cooked, the shrinkage made it pull apart, and start to crumble.

But the end result was quite good, so will try again using a bit more bacon.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,917
    Who'd of thought?

Sounds and looks good.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,986
    The "doughnut" shape was what caught my eye.  Makes a nice presentation. For me, it was a little to big for an appetizer, a little to small for a main. Perhaps put a Scotch egg in the center when served.

It worked well enough that I wonder about different sauces. Or trying green onions, or better, leeks.