Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onion "doughnuts" w. bacon

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Tried these yesterday, came out good, will do more.

Cut 2 slices at the "equator" of a large Vidalia onion. Brushed on several coat of Cholula sauce. The original recipe used Sriracha, but I didn't have any of that around. Wrapped w. bacon, and skewered. The onion ringsa were a little to large, and I had to stretch the bacon to get coverage. As the bacon cooked, the shrinkage made it pull apart, and start to crumble.

But the end result was quite good, so will try again using a bit more bacon.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Who'd of thought?

Sounds and looks good.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Great idea. I think I might try this with wedges of onion, wrapped in bacon and skewered maybe. Maybe slide a slice of jalapeño in there. I think this has potential to be a good one.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The "doughnut" shape was what caught my eye.  Makes a nice presentation. For me, it was a little to big for an appetizer, a little to small for a main. Perhaps put a Scotch egg in the center when served.

It worked well enough that I wonder about different sauces. Or trying green onions, or better, leeks.