Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where is my serial number?

Options
I'm trying to file a warranty claim with BGE and they are asking for my serial number. They said that it "should be etched inside the Egg". The inside of my Egg is SO black from all of the use, I'm hoping someone can at least give me a hint where the number is located. The XL has a ton of real estate inside. Is it on the dome? Is it under the fire bowl? I'm hoping someone can help! 

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I believe it is on the inside lower back of the dome. Mine is covered up though so I can't tell for sure but that is what I remember from 8 years ago...Somebody with a new one will know for sure.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,863
    Options
    my oldest one was marked under the felt gasket on the base, then the next one i bought was marked with a pencil
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Mine is on the inside of the dome next to where the hinge is.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My large is back by the hinge.

My mini doesn't have one.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Sorry Craig. Couldn't help it. ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    From the big green egg web site:

The ID Number is a four or seven digit debossed (stamped) number which can be found inside the dome, 
    at the back side, just above the gasket. You can see "3409" in the example below.

<edit> 
    I was curious so I checked my large circa 2010.  I couldn't see the number.  Maybe after a clean burn! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    From the big green egg web site:

The ID Number is a four or seven digit debossed (stamped) number which can be found inside the dome, 
    at the back side, just above the gasket. You can see "3409" in the example below.

<edit> 
    I was curious so I checked my large circa 2010.  I couldn't see the number.  Maybe after a clean burn! 
    Thanks! I looked there and can't see one. I even got a brush out and scrubbed really well.  I have an older model. I wonder if it is under the gasket. Reading the post above, I remember seeing it under there during a gasket re-tread. I'll check that out. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Mine is on the dome just like in the above pic. If it is under the gasket you have no choice but to pull it off. 

That is a pain when all you are trying to do is find the serial number. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Mine is on the dome just like in the above pic. If it is under the gasket you have no choice but to pull it off. 

That is a pain when all you are trying to do is find the serial number. 
    It's no big deal. I'm ready for a new gasket anyways. I bought one about a month ago and have been nursing this one along just because I'm lazy. 
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I think mine was located above the felt, above the hinge on the top dome. It had 3 characters on top, and 4 numbers underneath. I registered it with what I could actually read. Hopefully it works!

I can understand cracked fire rings, but a cracked fire grill? Woof..
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    My XL was purchased in 2010 and had the s/n on the base above the fire ring and but below the top of the base between the hinges.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    My XL purchased Dec. 2013 has serial the same as R2E2Q.
    Bake a pizza at 600 then look for the numbers. :D
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,648
    Options
    wpendlegg said:

I can understand cracked fire rings, but a cracked fire grill? Woof..
    My charcoal grate cracked long time ago, still chugging alone fine.
    canuckland
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I had my lump grate replaced shortly after i bought my egg. you may have to do a clean burn to see the serial #. Well, it may be difficult to burn with a cracked grate. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    My number is in the 'correct' place.   It helps if the grill is NOT coated with grill residue.   I wrote it on my receipt….just in CASE.

Now, one thing I noted.   the KETTLE part ALSO has a sr# which does NOT match the dome.   

On my warranty registration, could I use EITHER NUMBER or Just the number from the dome?    

Wouldn't it be nice if BGE issued 'matching number' eggs?  I suspect that would be an insurmountable problem in production, but I can dream, can't I?   And if one piece got broken somehow in production?   It'd be a hassle waiting for a NEW matching number piece to be fabricated.     
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have done 10 plus warranty claims and have never been asked for a serial number. One of my eggs is registered but that's cause I bought it from the Tucker retail store and they did it for me. I have receipts that's all I have ever needed.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We have three eggs.  Never seen one on the small or mini.  Don't remember the large's #.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Shine a flashlight as close to parallel to the back surface as you can ... that sometimes makes the numbers show up.

Cleaned out my large yesterday and noticed some numbers on the base ... on the very bottom in the middle.  Those might help since that area is almost always clean.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you have a dealer and a rep you don't need to be put through this. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,928
    Options
    Will you guys stop THAT? You are making my sides split from laughing so hard! There are NO hidden serial numbers on a BGE! There might be mold cast number in case the mold starts turning out bad pieces but there is no hidden "serial number" embedded in your egg!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,278
    Options
    @Big_Green_Craig you are persistent!  Started looking in April 2014!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Do a clean burn and then you'll need....

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    FWIW Craig I've had a few warranty claims and have yet to be asked for my S/N. Just needed receipt or close to when it was purchased. I have the receipts in my Google Drive with Doc Scanned documents. But, usually they just ask for a round about date when I bought it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    FWIW Craig I've had a few warranty claims and have yet to be asked for my S/N. Just needed receipt or close to when it was purchased. I have the receipts in my Google Drive with Doc Scanned documents. But, usually they just ask for a round about date when I bought it.
    Wow, this thread is old!! I found it way back when. I had an older XL model and the serial number was underneath the gasket. It's all good. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Craig I didn't look to when it was OP'd. Lol! Nothing like an archive being thrown back into circulation. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I have a warranty claim in now and they wanted a copy of my receipt. Mine is a 2007 and when i was replacing the gasket, i saw my number there.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig