Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised rack brisket

Options
Has anyone smoked a brisket on their raised rack. I'm thinking about cooking one higher in the dome. I think it will also smoke it more like my offset.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dfishel said:
    Has anyone smoked a brisket on their raised rack. I'm thinking about cooking one higher in the dome. I think it will also smoke it more like my offset.
    I have done them a little different but still raised. Let me explain how I have done it with pretty good results. Plate setter in legs up. Grid on plate setter. Aluminum pan on grid. A cooling rack inside of aluminum pan. Brisket on cooling rack. This way you get the best of both worlds. Smoke can still encompass 360 degrees around the meat and you are catching the drippings for your au jus as well. The only problem with this method is you are limited on the size of meat depending on the size of your egg. I use this method with other meats far more than brisket due to size limitations on the egg. On my vertical this is the method I use every time to make clean up non existent and catch the drippings for latter use. If you have a xlarge this method will work fantastic for brisket. Again if like me you have a large or smaller it will still work great but you will be some what limited on the size of your cook. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've done about 6 or 7 decent sized flats raised indirect on my homemade raised grid (the smallest flat was 6.5# and largest flat 9.8#). They have turned out very good. I'd like to try a packer but, dome sorta limits this when the cut gets big.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dfishel‌
    I presume you was talking about indirect correct? If not I have cooked them raised direct as well. Very small ones only. They turn out good this way but different than traditional brisket in both taste and texture. When doing the small flats raised direct I always marinate and inject heavily as well to help attain a moist final product. Again this does not produce the traditional brisket taste we all love but it is outstanding none the less.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Yes, I have and I think you get a little more smoke but I didn't find it made a big difference (in smoke ring). As indicated by the others, there's less space higher up in the dome.

Here's an 11 lb packer on a raised set up (Small Woo on the PS Woo): Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I wouldn't do this exact set up again. The point was a little too low and needed some extra cooking before it reached the tenderness I wanted. I would prefer to elevate the point a little.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA