Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh apple wood...

Options
Hey guys just trimmed the old apple tree and have some solid chunks I wanted to try smoking with......should I dry the wood out before I use it or is it alright to just go ahead and smoke with them??

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dry them out and then make sure you soak them before you use them :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    Or maybe I could dry them out in the egg like a kiln???
  • Catmandiesel
    Options
    Most smoking wood is dried(seasoned) I never soak mine. I sure it help with small chips but larger pieces it barely penetrates the wood. Not sure about using it green I'm sure it would burn slower but the smoke may be a little harsh. Either way enjoy Apple is 30 bucks a bag here in Louisiana I wish I had a tree to trim.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I used some pruned branches off our orange trees I cut back from freeze damage (l let them dry in the sun and then used them). +1 green wood isn't gonna give you a desirable smoke IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Most smoking wood is dried(seasoned) I never soak mine. I sure it help with small chips but larger pieces it barely penetrates the wood. Not sure about using it green I'm sure it would burn slower but the smoke may be a little harsh. Either way enjoy Apple is 30 bucks a bag here in Louisiana I wish I had a tree to trim.

How big of a bag and where in Louisiana?  That doesn't sound right.
    NOLA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Dry for a few months, then throw them on. Smaller pieces, <1" can be used green, my Granny Smith tree blew over last year, I'll have enough apple for years to come. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    its perfectly fine to smoke with fresh green fruit wood, it has the best flavor now and it will only lose flavor as it seasons. only problem is getting it to smoke in a slow draft atmosphere like an egg but will be fine over a long low and slow
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Yes you can use "green" wood. Yes it will burn and yes it will smoke. But, IMHO you are getting such a plume of white smoke because of the moisture boiling out of the wood it can easily be overpowering vs subtle.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em.  There's no need to season wood before using it to smoke.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I think the trick is to use smaller pieces vs larger chunks so the white plume clears and then you get your good smoke. @fishlessman‌ is that what you have done using green? Fact is most ppl won't run across to much green wood so it definitely is different especially when we are talking to such a broad audience (some have lots of experience smoking and some have 0).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited April 2014
    Options

I think the trick is to use smaller pieces vs larger chunks so the white plume clears and then you get your good smoke. @fishlessman‌ is that what you have done using green? Fact is most ppl won't run across to much green wood so it definitely is different especially when we are talking to such a broad audience (some have lots of experience smoking and some have 0).
    have used cherry, fruit woods are pretty mild anyways and in an egg you use so little. now i have some old bags of cherry and apple that have almost no flavor left so there must be a problem with overseasoning it. my go to now is hickory bark right off the tree down the street
    :D one of the Mixon shows he used a fresh cut peach log.  my go to now is hickory bark right off the tree down the street, stike gave me some once and it took a while to find the trees but its now a lifetime supply
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I like to use cherry off the cherry wood trees we have (they often lose branches after storms) and they have served us well with bark n all. I was simply stating when you look at the forums unique audience (some old seasoned eggers and some are greener than green and this is their first experience smoking) some don't understand the difference between "good" & "bad/ undesirable" smoke. Ya know what I mean?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014