Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Demi on Sale Again

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
5 DAYS ONLY!  Purchase a SousVide Supreme Demi for only $199 + FREE SHIPPING *

Use promo code DEMI4199 at checkout to receive discount.

SHOP NOW >

Valid on black and red SousVide Supreme Demi water ovens.
Offer ends Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 11:59pm PDT.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    this seems very enticing. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    OK, just bought one. I have been on the fence for a while now but this post just caused me to go ahead and do it. Now I need a slicer and maybe I'll be done for a while ;) Darn this place!!!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I did it last go round.. Def worth the coin
    Beaufort, SC
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Its worth every dime, I love mine, was convinced on this forum and havent looked back!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I would buy it if I didnt just buy a second egg this week .
    The swmbo said " you just spent tons of money on something that makes meat amazing "
    Toronto
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Agree. I did last time too and really enjoy it.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Ok, I'll ask the unspoken question. Why?
    Kemah, TX
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    jllbms said:
    Two words.

DELICIOUS FOOD

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    FOOL PROOF
    jllbms said:
    Beaufort, SC
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Damnit.  I've wanted one of these for a while.  I just convinced myself to entertain myself with the new BGE until winter and then try the sous vide thing, but this is too good of a deal to pass up.  I'm in.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    The Sansaire is now in production and can be ordered for $199.  http://sansaire.com/

I have one from their kick-starter batch and have been very happy with it.  I particularly like that it uses containers I already have (large pot, small cooler) and takes up little storage room.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    aem said:
    The Sansaire is now in production and can be ordered for $199.  http://sansaire.com/

I have one from their kick-starter batch and have been very happy with it.  I particularly like that it uses containers I already have (large pot, small cooler) and takes up little storage room.
    +1 - easy to store, much smaller than the demi.
    Sur-la-Table has the Sansaire for $199 with free shipping. The ANOVA is also $199 direct, but you pay shipping I think. I am very happy with the ANOVA. Much like the Sansaire it sits in whatever container you choose. For the two of us, I use an 8 quart stock pot, if more room is needed a 20 litre cambro. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    So basically, you season the meat before you vacuum seal it, drop into the Sous Vide (which you can leave meat in all day and wont hurt the meat) and then fire up the egg and sear for crust? 

Is this the proper step(s)? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@Gatabites - All day - yes for some cuts... I don't think recommended for all cuts. 

However you can cook a bunch on the weekend and once pasteurized hold it in the fridge for a couple weeks.  Come home - in the bath for 20 minutes then sear (blowtorch, pan, bbq)

I have the Anova and I'm loving it (only had it 1 month) but so far very happy with chicken breast, lobster tail, shrimp, steak, dulce de leche, and in day 2/3 for short ribs.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    @skiddymarker how tall is your stock pot?  Mine are not deep enough so the Anova is resting on the bottom of the pot instead of clamped to the side.  I'm paranoid so I wrap elastic around the handle and clamp but might need to get a deeper pot.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    edited April 2014
    @BigWader - Smallest stock pot is 7-1/2" tall. The ANOVA is 7" from the top of the rubber tipped screw part of the clamp to the base plate. When clamped to my stock pot, I have about 3/8" clearance between the bottom of the pot and the adjustable base plate of the ANOVA. 
    If you get a pot that is 8" tall, you will be in business. 
    If you don't want to buy a good pot and multi use it, look at Wally World or Target for a super cheap, ultra thin pot that is high enough. No good to cook with, but works for sous vide. 

EDIT - SWMBO has one of these, which I can "borrow" if she is not around. Very touchy about her canning stuff. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    For anyone interested - here is the Sansaire from Sur la Table:
  • This is tempting.  Great price.

But I've had my eye on that ANOVA, seriously considering taking the plunge.  Also great price.

Has anyone compared the ANOVA to the Demi?  I get the space concerns (I have a smallish kitchen) but is there a real difference in performance?

If I were to spend ~$200 on either this or the ANOVA, how much do I realistically have to spend on the vacuum sealer?  That's where this process seems to get expensive.  Anyone have suggestions?
    I will never cook inside again.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use my sansaire in a 9 inch tall stock pot for small bags and a 9 inch tall 12 X 18 cambro camware box for larger items with a lid that I cut out a hole for the sansaire.  The lid lets me hold the higher temps (190 plus) and doesn't allow hardly any evaporation. I use my sous vide supreme more often than the sansaire but need them both when doing two different entrees/veggies at different temps.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BigWader
    edited April 2014

@SenorHuevo - I think the advantage of the Demi is leaving it out and looking half decent.  I think the walls are insulated so I imagine there are some that set it up and turn it on all day so it's ready when they come home.  I'm thinking about a lamp timer for the Anova so I can heat water starting at 5:00 and it will be ready when I get home at 5:30.

For bags you can use regular ziplock.  Lots of different sizes and cheap!  Yes eventually you will want a vacuum sealer and all I have is the Food Saver from Costco but you can pick that up on a coupon like 3x a year around here so it isn't too bad.

My Food Saver has started making a funny noise when sealing so when it craps out...

@Skiddymarker - I have the canner - never thought about it but it would work great.  I bought the cambro though so if it is about the same amount of water would probably use that.  Will keep my eyes open at Wallyworld or Target for a cheapo.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    @SenorHuevo - vac sealer is nice to have with sous vide, but you can Trés Booblay with zip locks. Food in the zip lock, put the open bag into water to force the air out and then carefully seal. 
    The vac machines are a must have for other reasons. See a sale on pork loins, buy a couple, roast, chop, cutlet some and vac pack. Will keep for months in the freezer with no burn or frost. 

@BigWader - the round canner lets the adjustable circulation port on the ANOVA (don't know about the Sansaire) circulate the water very well. My cambro has square corners, circulation does not seem to be as good - although I've not noticed any problems. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm still planning to build my own under $40 model so I can use the crock pot that never gets used for anything else. Going to try it without a circulator, but if I decide I need one, aquarium pumps are under $10.

I've done a couple of steaks using a small cooler and hot water. That works pretty well, actually. For a steak anyway. Would have to babysit too much for, say, chicken.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213

BigWader said:
    @skiddymarker how tall is your stock pot?  Mine are not deep enough so the Anova is resting on the bottom of the pot instead of clamped to the side.  I'm paranoid so I wrap elastic around the handle and clamp but might need to get a deeper pot.
    I find that a 5 gallon plastic Home Depot buckets works very well with the Anova. That is what I cooked the salmon in at the Sunshine State Eggfest in March.
  • This is good information -- thanks @skiddymarker and @bigwader.  That I would not need to buy a vac sealer right away makes it more appealing.  While I totally see the logic of getting one down the road, I'd rather wait until I was ready to pull the trigger on a chamber model.

With respect to the Anova -- has anyone here had problems with their unit?  On Amazon, the lion's share of reviews are effusive, but there are a few suggesting that they do sell some lemons.

While the "looks good on the counter" element does cut in favor of the Demi, there is much to be said for the portability of the other units available. 
    I will never cook inside again.
  • BigWader
    @SenorHuevo‌ portability is great. I've taken the Anova to work - pork chops were great and could see taking it to visit family for a demo.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    @SenorHuevo - had my ANOVA since October 2013, so far no issues at all. It is used every couple of days, maybe only an hour or two, but at least three times a week. 
    The SS bottom screws onto the SS lower case (pipe) and there is one water discharge hole which can be set anywhere within 360º. The impeller is exposed when you take off the bottom. The SS lower case simply twists off, exposing both the impeller and heating unit. Great for cleaning when a vac pack bag springs a leak…. it does happen. Some caution is required to line up the case so as not to damage the impeller when reassembling, the instructions make this very clear. The touch screen has worked flawlessly, easy to understand to set both time and temp. The alarm could be louder, my old ears don't always hear it. I have been thinking about getting another for multiple item cooks. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If anyone is interested, here are 100+ ideas for sous vide cooks. None, I expect, are for the egg, but I'm sure many (most?) could be adapted. Love foodgawker!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Those who own one: What's the texture like on something sous vide? I've seen burgers, veggies and steak sous vide. Is it any different then pan seared or grilled? For instance a burger sous vide, would it be softer/musher then a grilled burger? And most importantly, what's steak like cooked sous vide and finished in cast iron or over coals? Tell me more...
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I can't wait to use mine. Should be delivered sometime next week.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    FLbobecu said:
    Those who own one: What's the texture like on something sous vide? I've seen burgers, veggies and steak sous vide. Is it any different then pan seared or grilled? For instance a burger sous vide, would it be softer/musher then a grilled burger? And most importantly, what's steak like cooked sous vide and finished in cast iron or over coals? Tell me more...
    Don't ask that question, you will just find yourself with less money than you had before. :)) I have yet to pull the trigger, these threads don't help.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker