Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Score

Options
FLbobecu
FLbobecu Posts: 309
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a nice looking Ribeye Filet. (center of a Ribeye - cap has been removed)

USDA Prime, 40-day dry aged. .68lbs

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's well marbled piece of meat. Going to be delicious.  :P
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    That's well marbled piece of meat. Going to be delicious.  :P
    Yes sir. I sure hope so! :)

Will follow up with a thread of the cooked product. ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Be careful with the timing of the cook. Dry aged goes faster than regular steak(unless you know this already).
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Be careful with the timing of the cook. Dry aged goes faster than regular steak(unless you know this already).
    And then it goes slower??  :-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Well, you curse less because you don't overcook the steak.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Man o Man that looks Awesome..Enjoy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn that already looks tasty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Wow!  What a score.  I've never seen a marbled hunk like that.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @FLbobecu‌ ...very nice! How are you gonna do it up?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    dang that looks good  :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Damn nice looking.  I feel like I'll need an angioplasty after just viewing the pictures :D
    Options
    QDude said:
    Wow!  What a score.  I've never seen a marbled hunk like that.
    Here's a teaser.. :)

• FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @FLbobecu‌ ...very nice! How are you gonna do it up?

Plan is to cut up and sautee some bok choy (I like mine spicy), leave the rest of the "glaze" from the bok choy, and cast-iron sear this little guy. If after I have achieved my desired crust and color, and I'm not any where near done, I will throw on BGE, raised @ 350*. 

I'm expecting to sear about 1:45 per side, let rest for a minute or two, and serve. It's thick (hair over 1.5"), but small. 

Any other suggestions?
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    Damn nice looking.  I feel like I'll need an angioplasty after just viewing the pictures :D
    Thanks, lol! ;)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'm going to start calling you Steak Man!  You score these a lot man...good connection.  This is like the 6th thread in a row for you.  Steak to you is like brisket to me!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'm going to start calling you Steak Man!  You score these a lot man...good connection.  This is like the 6th thread in a row for you.  Steak to you is like brisket to me!
    Yes sir. I work at tradtional-style butcher shop on Saturdays, as my second job. I also purchase a few steaks here and there from Fairway, in Detroit. 

Purchased this 50-day Wagyu strip from my man Joey @ Fairway. You could purchase similar quality from him all day. But I DO have a really good source at a butcher shop, as well. ;)

Additionally, while I LOVE brisket, I am single, and have a Small. I didn't have great success just smoking the "point". I do good ribs, chicken, and pork, but a brisket is just a little big, to do it well. I mean I can "braise" or "wet smoke" it, but that's not "BBQ" to me.. 

Plus, I mean, it can't hurt to do some fantastic steaks all the time either. :)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @FLbobecu‌..Now that's a second job with serious fringe benefits!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I don't think you want to put ' Single and Small" in the same sentence.. 
    [-X
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    You might consider the hot tubbing method for that steak, where you take the chill off by warming it it 100 degree (some go hotter) befor esearing it to finish.

The method can be simplified to basically: put it into a watertight zip top bag with no air in it. Place in a medium sized bowl with plenty of extra room (a mixing bowl perhaps), and fill with 100-110 degree tap water.  When the water is cool, pour it out and fill again with hot water.

Then, when it is warmed through, put it on for the sear.  It should require only searing to finish it off.

This is our S/O/P at camp when doing a number of steaks, but it works just as well for one. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• FLbobecu
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @FLbobecu‌..Now that's a second job with serious fringe benefits!

I really enjoy the job. I have a passion for good food, and I love to cook. I love sharing my knowledge and passion for food. And I have great customers at work. :)
  • FLbobecu
    Options
    I don't think you want to put ' Single and Small" in the same sentence.. 
    [-X

Oops! :))
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    FLbobecu said:
    cazzy said:
    Yes sir. I work at tradtional-style butcher shop on Saturdays, as my second job. I also purchase a few steaks here and there from Fairway, in Detroit. 

Purchased this 50-day Wagyu strip from my man Joey @ Fairway. You could purchase similar quality from him all day. But I DO have a really good source at a butcher shop, as well. ;)

Additionally, while I LOVE brisket, I am single, and have a Small. I didn't have great success just smoking the "point". I do good ribs, chicken, and pork, but a brisket is just a little big, to do it well. I mean I can "braise" or "wet smoke" it, but that's not "BBQ" to me.. 

Plus, I mean, it can't hurt to do some fantastic steaks all the time either. :)

Your small doesn't matter...it's been done man.  Vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....