Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan spacer

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I was in Tuesday morning today and they had these inexpensive cast iron trivets.  After verifying the rubber feet were easily removed (exposing the iron feet), I bought the cheapest one figuring it'd make a good spacer for between the plate setter and a drip pan.  My only concern is that it's got some kind of enamel coating.  What's the odds of that baking off and making a mess in the egg or of my food?

It's this exact one, but in white, and for $6.99.

http://corekitchenshop.com/cast-iron-kitchen/castiron-trivest/honey-comb-cast-iron-trivet-snow.html

Should I ask a friend with a bead blaster to strip it...or just use it as is?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited April 2014
    Can you get your money back? Spacers need not be that expensive NOR that much trouble to clean off and use. Just go to a good hardware store and buy 3 copper plumbing elbows. They will last you your lifetime and give you no problems!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    You should have no problem with it. I have a 10 inch weber cast iron enameled grate that I throw right on the burning lump for searing and have not had any problems. Setting your trivet on the plate setter is perfectly fine. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.