Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket education help

Options
chashans
chashans Posts: 418
I have been looking for fresh (packers?) Brisket here in San Diego. I have not seen any on display. I have queried several butchers and they say they have it on hand and it will cost me $4.95 per pound. Now I see that they have it at my local Smart & Final. I am not sure if these are "Packers" or not. One weighted 18# and this one is 10#. My question is...is this a Packer?  Are briskets packaged like this acceptable...I mean compared to "fresh cut?" Any helpful information that can be added to this thread will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!imageimageimage
LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    That is for sure a packard cut brisket. It doesn't appear to be frozen and that is how they are generally packaged. Trim up the hard fat and leave about 1/4" on the back side. Cover liberally with salt and pepper and slow cook about 1.5 hours per pound until probe goes in like butter. Normally internal temp in the flat between 185 and 205 which is a guide as you always cook to tenderness. Search the forum for Brisket and you will be overwhelmed. Here is a link I used when starting out http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that is a packer but it is select (lowest retail grade). very common and I've made plenty of good ones but choice or higher will produce better and more consistent results. Selects are good to practice on at that price though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Good Luck and enjoy the eats, lots of great advice here on how to do it, just ask away.
    FWIW I paid 5.88 per pound in the GWN. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yes, that's a packer. If your store is like mine, check back periodically as you might find a choice packer there at the price for select.

photo IMG_7255.jpg
    photo IMG_7257.jpg
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Yes, that's a packer. If your store is like mine, check back periodically as you might find a choice packer there at the price for select.

photo IMG_7255.jpg photo IMG_7257.jpg
    Wow...great tip! Thanks.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.