Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket on extra large egg issue

Options
zstokes
zstokes Posts: 1
Hello All,

I've been lurking here for nearly a year when I got my EL Egg, but I'd like to get a question looked at by you P-R-O-fessionals.  I love the egg and I've made some great stuff with it, including Thanksgiving turkey and hot-smoked salmon.  I recently did a 16 pound turkey in 60 degree weather in the POURING rain, to perfection.

I've done two briskets on this guy so far, both Choice packer cuts.  The first one I did was 9.5lbs trimmed.  I got it from a very reputable butcher shop here in SoCal so I , I smoked at around 275 for about 7.5 hours and it was up to 195.  I was afraid of it drying out so I took it off, coolered it for a couple hours, and the point was fantastic, but the flat was really dry.  Dry-in-BBQ-sauce-dry.

Second attempt I did a good job of keeping it between 225-250.  This one was about the same size, and it was done in 7 hours, to 195.  This one was much better than the first one I smoked, and the flat was juicy and delicious.

I guess my question is, since I know this isn't normal, how I do I plan for that time it takes 14 hours instead of 7?  Or 8?  I'm having a big 40th b-day party in two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone else has had quick cook time issues like this?

Thanks,
Z

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That does seem fast. When I do flats they take all day. I'm no expert but make sure your thermos are calibrated. That's a good start. As for the meat ill leave that to the experts.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I did a 14 pounder one night starting about 10 PM with the egg dialed in at 240 in the dome.  When I woke in the morning it was done by about 7:30 AM and I didn't need it until 6 PM.  It is my understanding that a 10 or 11 hour period of FTC is OK as long as the meat temp stays above 140.  However, I didn't want to chance it so I put it in the refrigerator in foil until 2 hours before I needed it then reheated it in the foil.  My coworkers still talk about that great brisket.

So, to answer your questions:

It is not a disaster to have a brisket finish early as you have options.  So, start early is always an option.

With that being said, if you don't start early enough to allow for 2 hours per pound, you still have options.  Many of the pros here cook around 280 or so and get great results.  If you start lower and find that you are running short on time you can always crank up the temp part way through the cook and/or wrap it in foil to expedite the process.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Another suggestion is to not cook just by temperature.  It is only a guide. Do not remove the brisket until it is tender which you can test by inserting the meat thermometer and removing the brisket when it goes in very easily (like butter). This usually happens between 190 and 205.  Each brisket is different.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    When I have done briskets on my WSM I take them to 165-170, warp them in foil and then finish them to 195-205. They have all come out juicy and tasting great. The tip is best for burnt ends, but my wife asked that the whole thing done that way. Loved it. Can't wait to do one on the egg. I always stayed between 225-250 and they were done in about 8-9 hours for a 10 pounder.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

I've done whole packer trimmed briskets weighing between 15&17 lbs on my XL at 210 degrees for about 26 hrs.  I do NOT go by the temp reading on the egg temp indicator but rather the BBQ Guru- wife got for my birthday a year ago and the guru and the BGE are two of the greatest inventions ever.  Guru isn't cheap but worth it.  At about 18 hrs, wrap it up in foil, pour in the fat drippings from the pan, throw in a couple of handfuls of green onions and pour in half of an amber beer. 

Absolutely perfect.  best thing I've ever made.  Thanks BGE!

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Paging @lousubcap he helped me out when I had brisket questions. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Given it is 8 years on I will see if the OP surfaces.  
    But, based on what he offered way back when, he pulled early, thus dry and tough, pull too late and you get dry and crumbly.  As mentioned, go with the feel in the thick part of the flat.  When it probes smooth you are there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    @lousubcap oops.  didn't even look at the date.  Sorry about that! lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE