Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron flavoring food

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
I used a small cast iron DO to warm some left over pulled pork for dinner tonight.  It had a distinctive iron flavor to it - never noticed it before, though most of my CI cooks are stronger flavored dishes.

What gives?  Do I need to re-season?  The pot has only been used a few times and I think I have properly cared for it.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Most of the time when you get the iron taste its due to oxidation (rust). Get in a good light where you can see good and look for a brown hue. If you see any brown i would recommend to re-season. If you dont see any brown then im lost as well. Hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Definitely no brown either before or after.    

The pork did have a vinegar based sauce on it, and I added a bit of apple juice to the pot.  Maybe acidic foods are not good in cast iron?  That makes sense now that I think about it
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Yup yup yup yup yup. It's the acid. You may have "weak" seasoning that let it leech through. Hey, your blood counts will be improved in about 28 days. Win win!