Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast halves

pretzelb
pretzelb Posts: 158
The wife bought turkey breasts split in half each around 2 lbs and wanted them smoked during our ice blast. I found tons of posts with all different methods. It so confused I went with the spatchcock chicken method. I used my lump reducers to push the lump back and reused some oak chunks. Raised the grid with woo2 and set temp for 350. Put some rib on the wife wanted and cooked direct for 1.5 hours until I saw 160. I checked at an hour but it was to low. Pretty good results. Amazing tenderness and juicy. Smoke wasn't too strong so maybe I should try indirect next time. Going to try them for lunches this week.
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @pretzelb

They look mighty fine to me. I happen to be in the camp that prefers indirect so dont be afraid to try it. Every one likes some thing different. Give them both a try and see which you prefer. Again food looks great.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cfwilen
    cfwilen Posts: 27
    I go indirect around 300 and do them quite often.- leftovers go into a Smoked Turkey Breast / Chickpea / Kale soup that is fantastic.
    Portland, OR
  • pretzelb
    If you go indirect what is the estimate on time? I try to follow the temp and time suggestions but I had so many posts that I couldn't find common method.
  • SGH
    pretzelb said:
    If you go indirect what is the estimate on time?
    I dont like giving time estimates because there are so many things that can affect time. Let me give you just a few examples.
    1. Exact temp
    2. Water pan vs no water pan.
    3. How close are you to the indirect piece. (Radiant heat affect)
    4. How close are you to the dome. (Again radiant heat affect)
    5. Quality of meat.
    6. How meat is prepped or laid out.
    7. Fat content and marbling.
    8. Temp of meat at start of cook.
    These are just a few examples that can and will affect time. But in general it will take longer to cook indirect vs direct. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pretzelb
    I appreciate the feedback and I agree with your points. Maybe I should rephrase my question to "when should I first check the temp". I believe in not peeking as much as possible especially with indirect but I fear over cooking. Then again, I might buy a Thermoworks soon and that would solve the problem.
  • SGH
    pretzelb said:
     I might buy a Thermoworks soon and that would solve the problem.
    Agree 100 percent.

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    pretzelb said:

I appreciate the feedback and I agree with your points. Maybe I should rephrase my question to "when should I first check the temp". I believe in not peeking as much as possible especially with indirect but I fear over cooking. Then again, I might buy a Thermoworks soon and that would solve the problem.

I'd imagine a maverick is more affordable. What does the ThermoWorks go for?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....