Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Part Question: Egg Use and Pork Crown Roast

I received a text from some "acquaintances" yesterday.  Apparently they had seen my pictures of my Mickey's Spatchcock from Friday - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162425/mickey-s-tonight-or-mickey-s-tomorrow that I posted on Facebook.  Their first question to me was if they could barrow my egg to cook a pork crown roast.  First things first, my egg is not leaving my house for someone else to use.  I don't trust anyone else with my Egg, unless it is a fellow Egg head, or our local distributor (my dad) when he uses it at his demos.

Would you let someone else barrow/use your egg?

So their next question was, would I cook the crown roast for them, they would pay me.  Now I have done some shoulders for them in the past for a few events.  They provided the meat, charcoal for the old off-set, and a couple bottles of Crown as my payment.  I usually did these when I had another cook planned for myself.  Do you think a bag of BGE charcoal and a bottle of Crown Black is a good enough payment, or should I charge more if I do it?

I've never done a crown roast, so I have no idea what to do with it.  Can anyone lead me to some ideas to see if this is something I want to tackle? I'm going to search the Forum too.  I told them I would research a crown roast and get back to them.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

That's kind of a strange request, IMO.

I would let friends use my egg (supervised) for free.  I would cook for them for free. 

If "less than friends" and they are willing to pay you to cook for them as an alternative to using your egg, seems like they are well on their way to buying their own egg.

I would do it for liquor, but they have to come and drink it with me through the cook.

And a crown roast should be pretty forgiving, IMO. 

NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I agree it is too much hassle to move the egg just for the cook.  I would cook it for them.  I think a bottle of booze is sufficient payment.  Perhaps you could just give them a grocery list of things you want once you come up with a recipe, and you also get some herbs/spices out of the deal.  

I happened to notice a recipe in the BGE publication during the holidays:

The crown roast is just a rack of pork so I wouldn't be scared to tackle it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    I did one 2 years ago for Christmas turned out awesome take off 140 foil
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    tkleager
    Just a few pointers.
    Cook indirect to a internal of 135-140 than rest.
    Cook the stuffing and roast seperate. It will turn out evenly cooked and much better.
    I wish i could find a picture to show what im about to try and explain but i cant so here goes any way.
    There are 2 ways that butchers cut crown roast. One is where it is circular and standing. The other is circular and laying like a flower. You want the one that is standing.The laying cut is much harder to cook even as there is some meat that is rolled and tucked and its hard to get this area done with out over cooking the other meat. Other than that its pretty straight forward. When my wife gets home she has a picture of of one i cooked for Christmas that is laying i will get her to post it so you can see what im talking about. Hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.