Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Pressure cookers

2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Little Steven
    Sir could you give directions on cooking goat in a pressure cooker. I would like to try that myself.
    I have always cooked them whole over oak but would love to try parts in the pressure cooker if its as good as you say. Thanks

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• One goat so far. She would have a conniption if she knew. My buddy Sassikumar who you didn't get to meet used to take me back in the kitchen and help. I have done lamb in the house when they are away at dance competitions.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking said:
    Some daals take longer to cook on the stove, so for those the pressure cooker comes in handy if pressed for time.
    Would you please tell me more about dal in the pressure cooker? I have a large stock of different whole and split pulses, all the spices, need some momentum!
    Judy in San Diego
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Judy - would be glad to help out where I can. I don't know the English names for the different days, but if you tell what you are trying to make, I can look it up.

We eat red lentils most often and usually cook it on the stove. Some days like Bengal gram cook in a flash using a pressure cooker. One of my pressure cookers cooks by time, the others cook by counting the number of "whistles".

Feel free to pm me if I'm not making much sense :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2014
    @caliking: I make masoor dal often too. You can use the native names, I can match them. 

I do not know how to send a PM on this website. Please tell me how.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2014
    @caliking: I make masoor dal often too. You can use the native names, I can match them. 

Just  click on the persons name, then click the "Message" button.  

Or, you can click Inbox over on the right, then click "New Message", and type the users name.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pressure cookers are used a lot on Iron Chef America. If its good enough for Iron Chefs...
    Flint, Michigan
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    They are great; a corn beef cooks in 45 minutes, and it has saved a ton of time as I have been trying to perfect a Pho broth. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • SGH said:
    Little Steven
    Sir could you give directions on cooking goat in a pressure cooker. I would like to try that myself.
    I have always cooked them whole over oak but would love to try parts in the pressure cooker if its as good as you say. Thanks
    I'm sorry, I haven't had time today but if you google Vah Reh Vah pressure cooking recipes  you will see bone in mutton recipes. Goat is the same method. I have never tried to re-create barbacoa in a pressure cooker and would be very surprised if you ccould

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

We usually cook masoor, moong, chana (also known as chhola), kali, and arhar daal at home. The one that is made best in the pressure cooker is kali daal since the kernels get kinda fluffy in a way that cooking in a pot or slow cooker can't replicate. Lobhia and rajma are great in a pressure cooker too, but those may technically be beans.

General MO is to take the daal, wash it well, and add to the pressure cooker with 2-4x volume of water, depending on what consitency you want it to be. Also add salt and turmeric (for yellow daals) before putting the pressure cooker on the stove. I can't tell you how long to cook it for since I don't know how your pressure cooker works, so you may have to experiment a bit. Once the daal is cooked, add the tarka/tadka/tempering - we use paanch phoron, cumin and garlic, onion and ginger depending on which daal is being cooked. 

If you can let me know which daal you are specifically planning on cooking next, I can give you more details. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I want to get Escoffier's book.

Here ya go, bud. Dirt cheap too!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I love my pressure cooker.  It mostly gets used for home-canning as I make my own beef, poultry and ham stocks.  I also make and can my own marinara sauce and I can my own beans.  I do this for multiple reasons, one I limit the salt content. two, I eliminate the preservatives that are usually used as well.

I also use a pressure cook as the last step in making my own Pastrami, I smoke it to 160 internal and then pressure cook it for 40 minutes. Pop it in the fridge overnight (after snacking on some of it while hot) and then it slices up nice and thin on my meat slicer the next day.

I've cooked short ribs in the pressure cooker, then reheated with BBQ sauce on a grill for serving the next day at a potluck.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.