Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Would You Smoke A Brisket Point?

Options
Got a 3 lb. brisket point from my local grocery store. I've never cooked just the point. To what internal temp would you cook to and would you ever wrap to finish out? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's a small chunk of brisket but good thing, it has a bunch of fat.  

I'd smoke 250 dome, throw a bunch of smoke at it, wrap about halfway through the plateau stage and at 195 put in the cooler for an hour.  If it came out tender, then make burnt ends.  If it did not come out tender, then chop for sanwhiches.

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

+1 @TJV.

I've cooked several at 250-275 dome and no foiling until 190 IT when I take it off.

All have came out perfect after FTC for ~1 hr.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Cullum
    Sir cooking a point is pretty straight forward. Here are a few pointers. Remember there are several different ways to cook to get results and this is just one of them. Rub your point with your rub of choice. If you are wanting to inject then inject with your injection of choice. Just a note i am a huge fan of injecting but i usually dont inject the point. I like to let it speak for its self. I like to cook point between 200-225 but thats just me. I like to use oak or a 50/50 mix of oak and pecan. I cook point to about 150 then i wrap. Wrapping is not a must just some thing i like to do. If im cooking just point i start checking it around 180 until it is tender. I do not cook to temp because it is never the same. I have seen them done at 180 and i have seen them done at much higher temps. Just pull when done and enjoy. Nothing to it my friend. Good luck, hope this helps.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.