Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about SV re: IT

Options
I've tried some SV cooks and am trying to become more familiar with the process. There isn't a lot of consistent info on the interwebs and i don't own any SV books as yet.

When you SV something like chicken breasts at 132°F for example, do you then grill them to the usual IT of 150ish, or do you just put it on the egg long enough to get a sear since all the potential bugs should be dead after the time in the water bath?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    When they come out, your meat is already pasteurized and safe to eat. When you sear, whichever way you chose, the goal is to add color and not bring it up to specific temp. If you achieve that at 145, then you're good. The only thing your thermapen should be checking for is that it doesn't end up at like 170 or something like that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Got it. That's what made sense, but I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Depends how long you Trés Booblay the chicken. One hour is not going to make it safe with a water temp of 132ºF. You will need at least 2 hours at that temp. The IT of the breast may be at 132º within the first 15 to 20 minutes, but it is not safe for at least another 80 to 90 minutes. 
    After it comes out of the bath, grilling, pan sear or flaming is for presentation.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    Options
    Sorry - didn't give enough background. My question was posted assuming that the meat spent adequate time in the bath to be pasteurized, as per the Polyscience reference chart, Sous Vide Supreme chart, or some other reference.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's the first thing I have ever seen that says to go under 140 with chicken. I did 142 once for 2 hours and had a hard time eating it due to texture. It did not seem cooked. I go 2 hours at 146 then sear.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't tried chicken yet- but I was thinking that I would have a hard time with it as well.  I am planning to go at 150 or so my first try with yardbird.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I SV chicken breasts at 145 degrees for 2 hours and think the texture and moisture is wonderful. SWMBO loves it and has me cooking extra for mid week salads, baby food, etc. I like to sprinkle with Dizzy Jaimacan Firewalk or Tsunami spin after the SV for a little kick.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Lit said:
    That's the first thing I have ever seen that says to go under 140 with chicken. I did 142 once for 2 hours and had a hard time eating it due to texture. It did not seem cooked. I go 2 hours at 146 then sear.
    True enough although chicken may be safe after two hours at 132ºF, good to eat food is not the same as tastes good. 
    I pan sear chicken breast with a Cajun spice, out of the Trés Booblay at 145ºF after two hours, maybe 60 seconds total in the skillet. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    Options
    @Lit - I just threw a number out. I tried chicken breast once and followed the Sous Vide Supreme chart (146 x 2hrs) then seared. It was very good, but I didn't grill it to the usual IT for chicken breast.

The consensus seems to be that as long as the meat has been in the water bath for sufficient time at an adequate temp to pasteurize it, then IT doesn't matter?

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yes that is correct. BTW I did a couple of pieces of pork belly for 48 hours @ 170* on the weekend and broiled it til very brown. Cut it up as an appetizer for superbowl and about three pounds disappeared in minutes. Can you say....THE BOMB!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    That pork belly sounds tasty. Will have to try.