Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad Customer service. What would you do?

Sorry for the rant, but I need some advice. This Christmas I decided to spend some money and hook my self up with cyberq wifi. Since my local dealer did not have any I decided to have my parents pick it up in my hometown and send it to me. I wanted it before Christmas Eve so I could use it that whole week. I received it a couple days before the holidays and opened it up. Had everything I needed, fan, probes etc, but was missing the power cord for the device. No big deal I will just have them send me one. So I call them and they tell me they have one that is on the demo but that is it. I bit my tongue and told them that's fine just order me another one. I can wait a week. It's been almost 3 weeks and I called to ask them what the deal is. He told me they are inventoring and will order next week. I almost lost it. Am I crazy to think I should get a little more urgency after spending so much money on something? I would understand if this was my mistake, but when you make the mistake you need to make it right. Not to mention missing Christmas Eve, New Years, bowl games and national championship which is what I wanted it for in the first place. I think I will send it back and buy it somewhere else. I am really trying hard not to mention the store.
Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen

Comments

• Go for it… customer service is king these days!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Cancel the order. You have gotten along without it in the past. Then order from someone else
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Send it back, get your $, and give your business to someone who cares. Sounds like they don't.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I would contact the manufacturer.  They would not be happy to have this type of service related to their product.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Companies that provide service like that is what makes it great for companies that provide better service. Nothing more frustrating for a customer than not being told straight. Short answer, no, you are not crazy.

Beers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Get the 12vdc adapter and a car battery jump pack. This way no need to hassle with electricity, other than charge battery pack about every 6 to 10 cooks. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    DITTO, take your $$$$$ where they will appreciate it. 
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • Thanks. I will be calling the manufacturer tomorrow. I will also be sending it back.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just a note, BBQ Guru (the manufacturer) was closed for inventory last week. Dealers were not able to place orders, etc. Also, my local dealer has been sold out of the CyberQ for a bit now, he couldn't get them from BBQ Guru. Was told mid Jan they would be available to order again. I may be a bit off on the duration of the inventory shutdown at BBQ Guru, but I was right beside my dealer when he tried to call them to find out when they would have CyberQ availability and they didn't answer. Then I saw a notice on their website with the same info.

You dealer should have been straight with you on what was going on. And offered to send you their demo power supply. They should have checked their package before selling it. But, might want to cut them a little slack if it truly isn't available from the manufacturer.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd call the factory and raise all kinds of hell. That's ridiculous. I'd name the business so no other Eggers use them.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW said:

Just a note, BBQ Guru (the manufacturer) was closed for inventory last week. Dealers were not able to place orders, etc. Also, my local dealer has been sold out of the CyberQ for a bit now, he couldn't get them from BBQ Guru. Was told mid Jan they would be available to order again. I may be a bit off on the duration of the inventory shutdown at BBQ Guru, but I was right beside my dealer when he tried to call them to find out when they would have CyberQ availability and they didn't answer. Then I saw a notice on their website with the same info.

You dealer should have been straight with you on what was going on. And offered to send you their demo power supply. They should have checked their package before selling it. But, might want to cut them a little slack if it truly isn't available from the manufacturer.

The dealer needs to communicate these problems.
    I say boot their butts to the curb.

Nowhere Indiana
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Just thinking about this thread after seeing it evolve…in defense of the company the holidays are definitely crazy. And if the power cord was not in the package, not much can be done immediately. They did offer you a demo. Might have made sense to take that…it's all they had. Thinking it may make sense to give them a chance to make it right. 3 weeks is a long time for a response, but we did just come out of the holidays. Dang…I'm torn! A phone call may be in order…tell 'em how you feel and see how they respond.

I can definitely see a little of both sides.
    In the meantime, could be time for a beer :)
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Just a note, BBQ Guru (the manufacturer) was closed for inventory last week. Dealers were not able to place orders, etc. Also, my local dealer has been sold out of the CyberQ for a bit now, he couldn't get them from BBQ Guru. Was told mid Jan they would be available to order again. I may be a bit off on the duration of the inventory shutdown at BBQ Guru, but I was right beside my dealer when he tried to call them to find out when they would have CyberQ availability and they didn't answer. Then I saw a notice on their website with the same info. You dealer should have been straight with you on what was going on. And offered to send you their demo power supply. They should have checked their package before selling it. But, might want to cut them a little slack if it truly isn't available from the manufacturer.
    The dealer needs to communicate these problems. I say boot their butts to the curb.
    I agree they should have communicated more. Waiting 3 weeks for a customer to call back in and ask rather than proactively reaching out is just poor. No way around that. Bad news is better than no news in my book.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Go buy a cord from radio shack, use it until they send you one. Make sure they reimburse you for the cord and a little extra for your troubles
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2014
    Return it and buy a Stoker   :D

Oh, and tell 15 friends about the bad experience.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I want to give them a chance, and I understand the holidays. I have thought about that and I think that is why I didn't call last week. I think I lost my patience with the way he was handling it. Like it was my fault. I have no interest in hurting the business. I just don't think I will help it any more. Either way I should have went with the Stoker! Just kidding.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    +1 Stoker
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ewelch04   I would send it back and buy it again from Firecraft.com I have bought much stuff from them and they are a pleasure to do business with any problems they take care of it like yesterday 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'd return it and take my money
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Return it and make you're purchase with a company that shows they want your business.  I also agree that I'd call the manufacturer.  Just give them and FYI on your issues.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited January 2014

In defense of the dealer, they offered you the power cord from the demo model (rendering theirs useless.)  I would have taken demo until Guru opened back up and they could get you a new replacement.  Or like another said, get a 12V power source from Radio Shack and get them to refund you the difference......that transformer is nothing special.

Unless they had opened the box, it's not their fault that power cord was missing.  I do not think it's their responsibility to open, test, repack someone else's product unless it's part of the dealership agreement (e.g. Stihl chainsaws)

I don't know all the details, so I won't pass judgment on who was at fault.......my only point is that they did offer a temporary remedy and were not necessarily responsible to ensure everything was in the box (if it was sealed.)

Just going off a prior experience with the temp controllers I sell and a bad temp probe.  Got that fixed in 3 days though......not 3 weeks. 

:-?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    A power cord from a demo was fine, in hindsight, you should have taken it and you would have been up and running a week ago. 
    Sounds like the retailer did all they could to help you out, they can't support you if the manufacturer doesn't support them. 
    My initial reaction would be outrage, as was yours, but on second thought, the retailer was trying to help with a rather inert piece, the power cord, not like it was a demo controller they were trying to pass you. 
    Good Luck with whatever you decide. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I maybe came off a little harsh with my first message. They called me today to apologize and said they are going to send it out and it should be here first thing next week. I totally agree that maybe I should have taken the demo cord and this would not have been an issue. I was hesitant to get the demo, because the seller mentioned how dirty it was. I am glad they called today and are taking care of it. Now we can end this post.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    The end.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Now it's finished.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • How do they know you are not simply trying to get a free power supply? I only ask to play devil's advocate.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

How do they know you are not simply trying to get a free power supply? I only ask to play devil's advocate.

Yeah b/c he needs two power supplies at once.  That fan will go REALLY fast.  :))
  • I couldn't get them to call or email me back before Christmas or this week. So I ordered the stoker yesterday. At least they talked to me.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Without customers you have no business.  I will go to any length to take care of a customer if there is a problem with a transaction.  Customers remember good service, and they tell everyone about anything less than the way they want to be treated (witness this thread). We do not know who the dealer is, but we do know the manufacturer is.  If I were a mfr, I would have a means in place to deal with the inevitable problems that can arise over the holidays.  There is not much worse than a Christmas present that can't be used.

When the day comes that I go for a controller, I will probably look at the Stoker first.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    The end.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer